Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Jackie Gleason Style

Monday June 2nd, 2008 - Chicago, IL

Perception is reality - especially in the world of entertainment. I thought we had a weak showing today on WLS with Jerry’s Kidders and my part was especially lame but later in the day I kept getting calls and emails telling me how hilarious I was. I sure didn’t feel it.

Some days I am in a zone and feel I can do no wrong. Whether on stage or on the air the vibe is right and I am able to crack off one liners and surf my rhythm. Today wasn’t a day like that but I still had people who thought it was great. I guess that’s good but it’s weird.

I was totally feeling unsatisfied after we got off the air but I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to bring morale down with the other guys. They like to be very scripted with their jokes and I don’t like that at all. I like to let it rip in more of a free form riffing style.

That’s probably why I wouldn’t be good on a sitcom. It’s also kept me out of the mix on TV shows as a comic because they want to know the exact set to the word that will go on the air and I just can’t predict that. Some jokes are the same but I never deliver them all in the exact same way. That makes it really good for live shows but not good for TV spots.

I always read that Jackie Gleason was like that on The Honeymooners. He hated dealing with rehearsals and just liked to go out there for the show and wing it. The other people in the cast supposedly hated that and were all very rehearsal oriented. It’s the same way with this current situation. I like to do it Jackie Gleason style but nobody else in the cast does.

When the pressure is on and we’re live on the air I am at home. It’s comfortable to be in the situation where I have to deliver something funny. It makes me think on my feet and it is an exhilarating challenge. I love the feeling of no safety net because it makes me focus.

I talked to Jerry Agar about it and he’s totally fine with me doing whatever I want. He’s not worried about me contributing funny lines so that makes it easier. When I first got the job at The Loop it was much the same way. The program director wanted me to script my bits and I hated it. Finally I just did it my way and it worked so he left me alone after that.

Jerry was my friend going in and knows how I like to work. The other guys didn’t and it is starting to become an issue. They are both good guys and do things how they feel it can work best for them and that’s totally fine but we have to find a happy medium somewhere so we can all be comfortable. It’s my job to be a good team player but still be productive.

All creative people have their quirks and like to do things their way. This is mine. I like to feel the pressure of needing to make something happen and that can be intimidating for some people. I understand that. I just want the show to be better so we can keep doing it.

If the customers are happy it doesn’t matter what I think. I thought we sucked today but if more than one person told me we didn’t then I will just smile and say thanks. But I still am not satisfied and know we can get better - myself especially. We‘re still building this.

No comments: