Sunday, December 19, 2010

King Of The 'Hills

Friday December 17th, 2010 - Vernon Hills, IL

   If there’s one comedy club in America I feel the most at home, it’s the Zanies in Vernon Hills, IL. I was the first comic on that stage when the club opened in 1991, and it’s been a lot more than a working relationship. The majority of the staff has stayed there for quite a few years, and we’ve all grown to become personal friends. Working there is going home.

   It’s also the only comedy club in Lake County, so there are people who come out to see me from both Illinois and Wisconsin. I’ve lived in Lake County off and on for years, and I also have people who have heard me on the radio who’ll drive down to see me there. It’s a nice club with lots of available parking and it’s easy to navigate. I love working there.

   Plus, I feel as at home on that stage as anywhere in the country. The staff doesn’t care in the least what I do, and if I would happen to have a bad show, nobody will write me up or scold me. If there’s a such thing as job security, I’ve got it at Zanies in Vernon Hills. It’s a sanctuary where I can pretty much do whatever I want within reason, but I don’t abuse it.

   Tonight was just plain old fun. I had some people come out to see me, and that’s always flattering. It makes me want to give everything I’ve got to please them. Jayne Nordstrom from the Illinois Convention and Visitors Bureau came out with her husband and friends. I joined the bureau a couple of years ago and Jayne is as hard a worker as I’ve ever seen.

   She is relentless at networking with people in Lake County, and she’s always putting in a good word for me. I know it’s part of my membership dues, but she goes beyond a work boundary and has become a friend. I’m glad I joined, and she’s been a one woman public relations firm on my behalf. She didn’t have to come out, but she did. I felt an obligation.

   Some of the staff from the Mothership Connection radio show came out too. My friend Shelley Maas-Hernandez has really helped me in a lot of areas, and she brought a crew of people as she usually does including her husband Bob who’s never seen me. They’ve both been great, and when I had computer viruses they went out of their way to fix it for me.

   Shelley runs my website and as I’ve been on the cruise ships she’s also been running the Mothership Connection radio show on Sunday nights. It’s a win/win as she gets to try her hand at real radio, and I have someone in charge I can count on to show up every week.

   Diane Ebert showed up also, and she’s another sweetheart. She works the overnights on 102.3 WXLC in Waukegan, IL and has been in and out on the Mothership for a while. It’s not always easy with her busy schedule, but when she shows up she always contributes to the show both on air and off, and supports the concept. We’ve got a great crew all around.

   Jim Moran came out too. Jim has really risen through the radio ranks and does traffic on WBBM among other stations in Chicago. He’s a total pro, and he and Diane have always come out to see me whenever they can. Shelley has either come out herself or sent people to see me for years. With people like that in the audience, it’s hard to have a bad show.

      A whole group of strangers came up to me before the show to say how much they were looking forward to it. There were about ten altogether and they said they’d made it a point to come see me. A few had seen me before, and brought friends this time. They said they watched my schedule and as soon as they saw I was at Vernon Hills, they made plans.

   THAT’S what I’ve been trying to cultivate my whole life - people who come out to see ME, not just those going out to see a random comedy show. There’s a different vibe if an audience is there to see someone in particular. They expect to be entertained, and if they are they respond with an outpouring of positive energy. That’s what I’m shooting for.

   It’s only taken a lifetime to achieve it, but it’s finally starting to happen. A little. But it’s still starting. I thought I’d have it figured out by now, but I totally don‘t. I‘ll take any and every fan I can get and be grateful for every one. I want to give all of them my very best.

   I could feel within about ten seconds they were going to be a good audience for the first show. Mike Preston was the host, and we’ve known each other for years. Mike is not only a funny comedian, he’s got a lot of experience hosting. His style and mine fit perfectly on the same show, as did the feature act Kevin McCaffrey. I think this kid is going places.

   He already has. He’s 28, originally from the Chicago area but moved to New York, and writes for David Letterman. I’ve also seen him pop up on TV either on TruTV or VH1 or maybe both. It was where they flash quick comment clips from comedians on those ’Best of the ’80s’ or stupid criminal shows. Whatever ones he did, I’ve seen him at some point.

   Those are nothing to sneeze at. It’s a great credit, as they run over and over and provide excellent national exposure. Plus, writing for Letterman doesn’t hurt either. The guy has a great work ethic, and I met him when he did a Rising Star Showcase at Zanies in Chicago a while back. He’s not only working on his comedy, his business acumen is razor sharp.

   I wasn’t anywhere close to that smart when I was 28, and I’m not claiming it now. I just see what I did wrong, and know when someone else is doing it correctly. When I was 28, I had already gotten into radio, and moving to New York or LA to write for Letterman or anyone else wasn’t where my mind was. Kevin is on the right track to build a solid career.

   All these things together made for a wonderful night. I felt as at home as I do anywhere on the planet, the host was experienced and competent, the feature act was funny and not filthy, and there were pockets of people all through the audience who already enjoyed my comedy style and knew what to expect. Plus, I had just come off of working on the ships.

   That’s like coming out of the gym and taking ankle weights off. Those gigs may not be easy, but they sure are making me a better comedian. I could feel it as I launched into not only new material but some older stuff too. I could feel myself deliver it with a crispness and felt in control the entire time. It was great fun, and even the second show rocked the house. These were just regular customers, but I still had a hot show. I’m in a performing groove right now, I was King of the ‘Hills tonight. This was a slump buster. What a blast.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: