Monday, December 20, 2010

Optimal Options

Saturday December 18th, 2010 - Vernon Hills, IL

   I’m beginning to get very excited about 2011. Things look like they’re finally starting to pop from all angles, and I’m ready for all of it - at least I think I am. Even if I’m not, what a super problem it will be to have too many fun and exciting things all going on at once.

   First off, I’m starting to get comedy clubs calling me for dates next year. I haven’t been to Laffs in Tucson in a while, and there’s been an ownership change there. It’s back in the hands of the guy who used to own it, and he looked through his archives and saw I hadn’t been there for a while and asked me back. He’s in for a surprise, I’m WAY better now.

   I love Tucson, and the west in general. Gigs are farther apart, but I’m to the point where I’m either going to fly in or not go so it doesn’t really matter. I also was asked to return to Wiseguys in Salt Lake City by my friend Keith Stubbs. I always love working in Utah and it’s been too long since I’ve been back there too. Another place I want to return is Calgary so that and a few other regular stops will give me a nice base of clubs to start scheduling.

   These are all places I enjoy working, and going there is more of a mini vacation by now. I don’t have to prove myself on stage, and we have a good working relationship. It will be nice to see the people in those towns again, and hopefully I can teach some classes also.

   That’s another thing that’s starting to heat up. Harper College has asked me to return for more classes, and that could really lead to good things. It’s totally legitimate and attracts a wider audience that isn’t just a comedy club crowd. If I’m smart, I’ll create a cash cow.

   I also am back in contact with Arnie Hoffman from Laughing Hyena records. Arnie is a sharp businessman and he’s the guy who bought the rights to my first CD recording. He’s always looking for more products, and we went back and forth a little on what I might be able to create and make another deal. Arnie said he’s sold about 1800 copies of my CD.

   That really made me feel good. He gave me a flat fee when he bought it so he’s the one who took all the risk. I’d already made my money selling it after shows. I’m glad he made a profit, and it got my name out a little. Arnie told me the topics that sell the best for him, and that gives me something to work with in planning recordings. It could lead to a deal.

   These are all things I really enjoy, and I’ll have plenty to play with in the new year. I’ve also got a ’Schlitz Happened!’ show up in Milwaukee at the end of January and that’s my pet project right now. Creating something from absolute zero is a thrill, and I can see this gaining momentum. It’s exciting. All of it is. I’m not going to be stuck in a solitary rut.

   I’m also still waiting to see what transpires with the cruise ships. Carnival has put some nice money in my pocket, and if that keeps coming I’d be stupid not to take it. If not, I’ve got plenty to do to keep me busy and solvent. Either way, I’ll be fine. That makes life the best it gets. I won’t be worrying about where my next meal or gig comes from, and that’s the best definition of success. I can sit back and be creative, and that’s what it’s all about.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary