Friday, December 10, 2010

The Sun Makes It Fun

Friday December 10th, 2010 - Cozumel, Mexico

   Getting up this morning and putting on a pair of shorts to walk around in Cozumel, MX in perfect 80 degree weather was worth every bit of yesterday’s travel misery. I may have had a different opinion yesterday, but in retrospect it was all worth it. It‘s paradise here.

   It’s funny how I’ve become comfortable with everything in just a few months. I may not like everything about life on a ship, but I’ve learned to at least tolerate it enough to get by. I’ve had my share of down times, but today wasn’t one of them. Going outside to see how tropical it was after spending a week freezing my lug nuts off in Chicago was a real treat.

   Walking and thinking are a perfect combination and I took an extended hike today in an entirely new direction. I’ve walked a lot in Cozumel, but today instead of heading for the downtown area with which I’m familiar, I went in completely the opposite direction for a new perspective. There wasn’t as much to see, but I enjoyed every step in the warm sun.

   I’ve got all kinds of projects in all phases of development, and I focused on how I’ll get everything organized and functional in the new year. This year took me in a direction I’d never have predicted, and the ships ended up being very good to me in a financial sense.

   They’ve also made me a better comedian, even though at first it was pure hell to get out here and eat it night after night. I’m starting to figure it out, and not only am I not eating it anymore, I’m blowing the doors off the majority of shows. Maybe that’s because I’ve had assignments on the right ships, but that’s ok. It took me a while to find my stride out here.

   This week I’m on the Carnival Legend. I like the staff and the crowds here very much. I fit in well with these people, and I’ve learned to really feel at home onstage and off. I like pleasing people, and these audiences have liked me the most on a consistent basis of any of the ships I’ve worked so far. If I could get in a regular rotation here, I’d be in heaven.

   That’s the deal the guy I’m working with this week has, and he really loves it. His name is Thomas Brown and he lives in Tampa where the ship is based. He gets to do the weeks he wants, and it works out perfectly. Good for him. He’s a super nice guy and works hard at his craft. I’d work with him anytime, and I think we’re going to be working a lot more.

   I’m back here Christmas week, as is he. I’m doing the whole week, but he’s only doing half of it and spending time with his family. Good for him. I’m glad he’s got the freedom to do that, and that Carnival is so flexible. They’ve been great with me too as far as when I’m scheduled, and I hope it can continue into 2011. As of now though, I’m not booked.

   I can use some time off in the first quarter to catch up on a lot of things back home like unpacking all my worldly possessions I had to throw haphazardly into storage. I can also use some time to make contacts for the ‘Schlitz Happened!’ show and comedy classes as well. I’ve also got some land gigs booked to pay the bills, so I’ll be ok for the first quarter of next year. After that, it‘s all up in the air. I’m used to that, so it doesn’t worry me at all.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: