Sunday, August 14, 2011

It's Hard To Eat Healthy

Sunday August 14th, 2011 - Fort Worth, TX

   I think I’m part Superman. After a solid quarter century of power pounding the absolute worst foods imaginable into my innards - I’m still above ground to tell about it. That’s an outright miracle if you ask me. A mere mortal would have been pushing daisies years ago.  

   I’m finding it very difficult to believe just how horribly I ate for so many years, and I’m both ashamed of myself and glad I’m on a different path now. I was on the road to certain death, along with millions of other Americans who don’t heed the warning signals either.

   This road trip is really hammering home how hard it is to eat even halfway healthy on a road schedule. It’s expensive, inconvenient and unpopular with most places and people to make it a consistent habit. No wonder I ended up in the hospital diagnosed with diabetes.

   It takes constant effort to eat right and exercise every single day. I’ve only done it a few weeks, but it’s taken a ton of planning to do even that little bit. The results have been very well worth the effort though, and I’m thrilled I did it. This trip has driven that point home.

   Between Chicago and Kansas City, I brought along some snacks for the car I’d probably not have taken in years past - at least not as my first choice. I had a bag of raw almonds, a half dozen hard boiled organic eggs, a small tub of cottage cheese and a bag of cherries. It lasted most of the way, and I didn’t eat the yolks of the eggs. I also had a Wendy’s chili.

   I brought plenty of WATER too, when in the past I’d soak myself silly with sodas. That alone has to be the biggest difference, but the rest hasn’t hurt. I’m conscious of what I put into my pie hole now, and it’s making what I used to swallow seem even more disgusting.

   Yesterday in Kansas City was all done in moderation. We hit a sports bar for lunch and I had a big salad loaded with fresh vegetables while everyone else either had a big sloppy cheeseburger or a gooey Reuben sandwich. No biggie. I’ve had my fill of those for a long time, and there are probably enough remnants in my intestines to reconstruct one of each.

   For dinner we went to a barbecue joint. Hey, it’s Kansas City. I think it’s a law. I’ve had a six week run of eating really well, and I’d planned on treating myself just a little. I knew I was going to do it, but didn’t allow myself to go nuts. I had a side salad first to keep me at least a little healthy, and then a few baked beans to savor the flavor. No fries or corn.

   We ordered full racks each of baby back and St. Louis style ribs, and some ‘burnt ends’ which is a Kansas City specialty. They’re the tips of beef ribs and absolutely scrumptious. Still, I only had small tastes off of each plate. I was proud of myself for staying on track.

   A few hours later, my stomach started gurgling and I realized I’ve actually made eating well a habit. I was thrilled. The ribs were great, but I didn’t go crazy like I would have in the past. Then we got to Texas and the only thing open was Denny’s. Yikes. I had to look long and hard at the menu, and I ordered oatmeal and fresh fruit. I‘m changing my ways.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: