Friday, August 12, 2011

Take Me To Uranus

Wednesday August 10th, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL

   Talk about feeling insignificant. I ran across an audio program I had forgotten I had that was recorded by the late Carl Sagan called ‘Pale Blue Dot’. I listened to it years ago and it painted a vivid cosmic picture of just how tiny a terrestrial speck in space we call home.

   I was a fan of Carl Sagan when he was alive, but his work is even more fascinating now that I host The Mothership Connection radio show. I wish I could have had him as a guest at some point, because he had such a way of shrinking the vastness of the universe into an every day person’s world. He died in 1996, right as the internet was coming on the scene.

   I drove around all day lost in his words, and loving it. What a mental enema. This world is so ridiculously minuscule and meaningless in the big picture of the universe, yet to us it can be intimidating. But, we’re only here for a brief blip on the radar - and then it’s over.

   If that’s the case, then why would any of us not go chase our biggest dreams? It’s such a short ride, why not make it as exciting as possible? I don’t want to waste one millionth of a second on anything that isn’t fun or interesting, and I’m already far enough along in this cosmic journey to realize there isn’t much left. It’s time to let it all rip and enjoy the ride.

   What intrigues me the most by far is my ‘King of Uranus’ project. I’m not even exactly sure what it is or who it is, but I know I enjoy it and others do too. Sure, it’s goofy to the point of being stupid - but it’s a FUN stupid, and what’s wrong with that? It’s harmless.

   There have been all kinds of signals since I’ve had this idea, but I just haven’t made it a priority enough to make it a solid reality. I’ve had constant hints though, and still do. I get people beeping, pointing and laughing at my ‘URANUS 1’ license plate every single day.

   I don’t have an ‘I (heart) Uranus’ bumper sticker on this car just yet, but that really adds to the picture and when I did it made people laugh even more. It’s only a license plate and a bumper sticker, but together they attract attention. People take pictures, and I’ve been in parking lots where there’s a crowd gathered around my car pointing and laughing. Really.

   We’ll all be dead soon enough, so why not let it all hang out? I want to breathe life into this project and actually become ‘The King of Uranus‘, whatever and whomever that is. It already works, and I haven’t really done anything with it other than have a loose concept.

   People laugh when I tell them about it, and laugh even harder when they see even a tiny glimpse of it manifested in something so small as a bumper sticker or license plate. I also have a ball cap that says ’King of Uranus’ and people always notice and laugh at that too.

   Fun and laughs is what life is about, at least to me. There are too many people stressed out and I’m not going to spend my remaining days doing that. Whatever show biz dreams I chased and may have missed were at least time spent not being miserable like such a big percentage of everyone else is. The universe is too gigantic to fret about this little speck.  

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: