Tuesday, August 9, 2011

No Trouble At All

Tuesday August 9th, 2011 - Lombard, IL

   Whenever I feel the slightest need to snivel about my pansy ass troubles, I always know without a doubt somebody somewhere has it a whole hell of lot worse. That’s not always enough of a comfort, because when something sucks raw sewage, it sucks raw sewage.

   When I was in the hospital just a couple of months ago, it looked pretty bleak for a little stretch. I had no idea what to expect, and when my surprise ended up being surgery on my strawberry patch, I thought it was game over. The pain was excruciating, but it’s all in the past and healed to the point it seems like a distant memory. I’ve lived to see another day.

   Yes, I have to prick my fingers with needles twice a day, but that’s not the end of living either. Actually, it’s the beginning. For the first time ever I’m really thinking about taking care of myself and making health a priority rather than a chore. I’m in a positive mind set.

   Today I had lunch with my former Chicago Style Standup group mate Scot Wickmann. Scot has dealt with diabetes too and graciously offered to set up a lunch with his dietician so she could share some tips with me. That was an extremely kind offer, and I accepted.

   Scot not only gets to enjoy the fun and frivolity of diabetes, he also gets to have kidney dialysis three times a week. Just when I thought I had troubles, I found out I totally don’t. I can eat my little salads and take my little walks, and feel a lot better in just a few weeks.

   Scot has to endure a never ending hellish torture thrice a week I can hardly imagine, and frankly don’t want to. It’s scary to even think about, and I don’t think most people ever do unless they have to face it themselves. I’d never thought about diabetes until I needed to.

   I’ve always liked Scot and we’ve gotten along very well, but today instilled a brand new level of respect for him from me after going with him to the hospital. He knew everybody and introduced us, and then we went to the cafeteria to meet up with his dietician friend.

   She gave me some basic pointers about when to eat and how much and said it’s not the end of the world if I blow it once in a while because everyone does. It’s all about changes for life, and I’m doing exactly that. I’ve made major changes, and am feeling much better than I did just two short months ago. Then she gave me some diabetes literature to read.

   It was a fun lunch and Scot was cracking jokes left and right. He went out of his way to make me feel at home, and that’s exactly the kind of thing I try to do with people in a spot like that. When it comes back around it feels extra good, and I appreciated every minute.

   On the way home, Scot mentioned he’s going to check out the possibility of eventually having a kidney transplant, and after that he wants to go back on the road and do comedy again. More power to him, and I can honestly say if my kidney matches I’ll give it to him. As goofy as that sounds, I’ve always thought about donating a kidney to someone in need. That’s what giving is all about. After hearing what others go through, I have no problems.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: