Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Witness To Fitness

Wednesday August 24th, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL

   I’ve been taking extra long walks for exercise the past three days and I can barely stand up straight as a result. My hamstrings feel like rubber bands about to snap, and it’s torture to walk up flights of stairs - but I love it. This is what I should have been doing years ago.

   It takes major effort to keep this up, both physically and in time expenditure. I intend to get it done first thing in the morning, but sometimes I just can’t. I’ll get a phone call or an errand needs to be run and I’ll put it off until later in the day. Then that throws everything else off schedule, but I feel it’s important so I make it a priority. Everything else can wait.

   I’ve made up my mind to do this for the rest of my life, but I’ll need to make a schedule and plan everything else around it. Obviously, winter will be an issue if I continue to live where I live, and I do for the foreseeable future. If I should happen to get a twelve picture Hollywood deal, I’m sure a gym membership will come with it. If not, I’m not taking it.

   There’s a small gym about a mile and a half from where I live, and that will probably be where I work out this winter. I checked it out, and it’s not huge like a Bally’s but it has all I’m going to need for now. They have Nautilus machines and free weights but no pool.

   I can’t believe I’m thinking about stuff like this, as I haven’t in many years. It wasn’t on my top 10 list of life priorities, or even top 40. Now, it’s number one with a bullet, and all other activities in my life will just have to wait. Fitness is a mission, and I didn’t expect it to become so important so fast. Having one’s private parts operated on tends to do that.

   The diabetes diagnosis was scary enough, but that surgery really drove the point as deep as could be. Maybe my skull is extra thick and I needed the loudest message possible, and I think that was it. It’s healed up now, and feels fine - but I’ll remember that pain forever.

   I think it has scared me into eating healthy and working out so I never have to have that kind of horrific experience again. It was a wake up call, and I heard it and am still hearing it. It’s like a bugle blowing revile in my ear a foot from my bed. I can’t avoid hearing it.

   Walking is good, and I intend to continue, but now I need to add other ingredients like a weight program and maybe running or swimming or bicycling. Maybe all that to a certain degree, but then I have to be careful of overdoing it too. Injuries are the last thing I need.

   I was talking about how much better I feel to a friend of mine recently, and suggested it might take my funny away. I never really thought about that, but if it’s true - so what? I’m sure I can find something else to do if I had to, and the way comedy is going, I’ll have to.

   I’m always going to be a dented can, but I’m getting better as a person all the time. Step by step, I’m making steady positive progress and improvement, in all areas of my life and it would be hard to ask for more. The rest of the world is in shambles, but I have my own problems to deal with and I’ve been doing that. I’m just sorry it took so long to get to it.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: