Saturday, August 6, 2011

Use It Or Lose It

Friday August 5th, 2011- Milwaukee, WI

   I finally got back on stage tonight after my longest break ever - six weeks. That may not sound like a long time, but to me it feels like I’m starting all over again at ground zero. In a way I am, and it’s a very humbling experience. It’s like rehabbing from a sports injury.  

   Whatever faults I have and mistakes I’ve made, and there are many, one thing I’ve been able to keep through all of it is my comedy chops. I started doing open mics in November of 1983 and I’ve stayed with it through hell, high water and everything else. I knew it was crucial to keep myself in tune, as like a muscle it would atrophy if I stopped working out.

   Even when I’ve had morning radio jobs and had to be up at 4am, I always made time to keep myself in a comedy groove. I sacrificed sleep, dates, going to sporting events, seeing the latest TV shows or movies for 20 years and who knows what else - but it was worth it. I made a commitment to myself to be the best comedian I could possibly be, and I did it.

   No matter what got in the way of that, and a lot of things tried, I made comedy my main priority and was very diligent about it. Had I done the same with my health for that long a period, I probably wouldn’t have to deal with my diabetes issues but that’s life. We make choices, and then deal with the consequences. It’s too late now, those choices were made.

   I’m choosing to continue comedy, but not like before. I can’t keep doing it like that, and I don’t want to. Pulling all night promenades to prowl the Podunk places for piss poor pay is preposterous, but I still want to maintain my stage chops. I need to redirect my effort.

   I was actually nervous before the show tonight, and that never happens. I felt like it was my first time up, and I was pacing back and forth like a rookie. I hadn’t felt that in a long time, and I laughed because it was unexpected. All these years later, I’ve come full circle.

  The show tonight was part of the Milwaukee Comedy Festival which is becoming a very solid annual event. It’s run by a guy named Matt Kemple and a group of others who are a pleasure to work with. The shows include sketch comedy, improv, and standup too. It’s a great mix, and there’s a lot of talent in one place. I’m thrilled to be asked to participate.

   Matt and his whole crew are really on the ball. They’re all in their twenties, and it’s nice to see how hungry they are to keep comedy going. They’re totally doing it right by getting media exposure and making it into a yearly event. They’ve got a super slick website that’s worth checking out at www.milwaukeecomedy.com. I’m impressed with the whole event.

    I did a ten minute set tonight and was so rusty I’m surprised I didn’t squeak. I stumbled my way through it and got some laughs, but didn’t have the rhythm I’m used to. I felt like someone trying to throw a ball with the opposite hand. My brain knew what to do, but my muscles weren’t following. The audience was polite and I didn’t embarrass myself, but it wasn’t the kind of performance I know I can give. I’ll have to work hard to recapture that groove, and I can only do it by getting on stage and performing. ‘Use it or lose it’ is true.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: