Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Tuesday Troubles

Tuesday August 2nd, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL

   A couple of bumps in the road today, but nothing to qualify as a disaster. The first was a phone call from my friend Don Learned in Houston to tell me his club closed, which kind of throws a wet blanket on the week of work I had booked there in September. It’s a good thing I waited to buy my plane ticket, as I would’ve been out all the money for that too.

   This is how the business works, and every week is technically a risk. Don is a great guy and also a comic, and he understands the game from both sides. He was totally apologetic on the phone, but apparently he had some problems with the landlord about some kind of plumbing issue and he was forced to close the doors. Another outlet for work off the list.

   He may or may not reopen, but that doesn’t help me for September. I’ve got a giant hole in my calendar where a booking was, and even though it was far away it was for a person I like in a town I like. I’m sorry I won’t be going, but that’s the state of the business now.

   Fortunately, my old stand by in a pinch Zanies in Chicago has come through once again as they’ve done so many times before. There was a fallout the week following the one I’d booked in Houston, so I’ll be able to pay my rent for October and maybe even have a few bucks left to buy a couple of bowls of oatmeal and some vegetables. I’ll squeak through.

    I am SO grateful to Bert Haas from Zanies for taking care of me once again. He didn’t have to give me that week, and I won’t let him or anyone else down. I haven’t been able to get on stage in a while now, but I’ll light it up that week. I’m ready to turn it loose.

   The other situation that has my attention is a toothache that’s been getting worse for the last couple of days. As if I haven’t had enough trouble with my hospital adventure, now I have dental pain. I’ve had more than my share of that in my life and I’m afraid to go back to the dentist and hear I need another root canal or other ugly money sucking procedure.

   I don’t have any money to suck right now. The timing would be horrendous, but that’s the way it’s always been so I’m used to it by now. I’m not going to panic, and see how it feels in the next few days. Life sure doesn’t get any easier, especially without insurance.

   I refuse to lose this good space I’m in though. If I have to go to a dentist, I’ll go, it will get fixed, and I’ll pay for it however I can scrape it together. I’m surprised to learn I have teeth left that haven’t been fixed, but apparently there’s at least one more. I feel it throb.

   That didn’t stop me from getting out and doing a killer walk today. The weather was as perfect as it can get for August - sunny but not too hot or humid, and I took advantage of it and went out for over an hour. I came back drenched, but knew I’d had a great workout.

   I can’t quit now, and I’m not going to. I’m sorry the week in Houston got scrapped, but at least I got the Zanies gig to see me through. They’re also running comedy classes in the fall, and that will help too. My loyalty for all these years is paying a handsome dividend.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: