Friday, August 12, 2011

Shock The Doc

Thursday August 11th, 2011 - Waukegan, IL

   ‘D’ day - as in doctor. It’s been five weeks since my last appointment and I’ve been at it constantly as far as changing my diet for the better and exercising. I’ve missed a couple of days, but only because I was too sore and tired from working out hard the day before. I’ve really stayed with it, probably as much or more than I’ve ever done in my adult lifetime.

   I’ve still got miles to go in what’s going to be a life long marathon, but I’ve made major strides in just a few weeks and I feel a whole lot better for it. I’m sleeping better, thinking clearer and feel a total lifestyle change. This isn’t going to be a weak effort and then back to fast food feasts. I’m totally ready to eat this way for the rest of my life. I‘ve bought in.

   The first thing they did was weigh me and I was horrified to see I only lost three pounds since my last visit. I couldn’t believe it. I worked out like a maniac and ate salads and fish and all I was supposed to. I feel fantastic, and people tell me I look good too. What gives?

   I thought for sure I’d have dropped at least ten or fifteen pounds, but was stunned to see it only come out be a measly three. It took the wind out of my sail until the doctor walked in and told me how much better I look. I told him I only lost three pounds, and he told me it’s very common to not see a big drop in numbers the first few months of a new program.

   He said the reason is I’m simultaneously taking off fat poundage and putting on muscle mass, even if it’s only in my legs from walking. He said he could tell immediately by just a quick glance that I’d been exercising, and I have. Then he asked how much insulin I’ve been taking, and I cringed and told him the truth - none. I expected to get a nasty lecture.

   Instead, his eyes lit up and he said “Really? How about pills?” I told him I hadn’t had a pill prescription, and he gave me a high five and a big smile. “YOU sir, have done it! You have reversed Type 2 diabetes.” Then he went on to tell me how he didn’t think I’d pull it off, but I proved him wrong. I thanked him for his total confidence in me, and he laughed.

   Apparently, very few who get diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes are willing to take the big plunge I did and do a complete lifestyle change, and they end up on medications for years. I’m not out of the water yet, and if I go back to how I was living before I’ll be right back where I started and I don’t want that. But for now, he’s taking me completely off insulin.

   I’ve got another appointment in three months where he’ll take some blood and do a test of how the sugars are over a period of time, but I’m not worried. I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing, and get even better. I’ve been walking, now it’s time to take that farther.

   I hope to add at least a little bit of running and some weight training in there too, and do better at eating breakfast every day. I can use a few supplements too. This isn’t time to lay low, it’s time to ramp it up. I’m starting to get in a groove, but I’m not there yet. Still, I’m doing a lot better than most and I have a chance to take it a lot farther if I will just stay the course. I floated out of the doctor’s office on a cloud, and I think we were both in shock.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: