Thursday, December 27, 2007

Back On Track

Thursday December 27th, 2007 - Lake Villa, IL

More work today but not as much as yesterday. I really did bust my hump yesterday and it shows. When I woke up and looked around my room and saw all the work I actually got done yesterday it made me feel like I really accomplished something. And I did. I will keep this momentum going into the new year and at least I had the guts to fight my depression.

The worst thing would have been to just sit around saying ‘Woe is me’. I was quite woe but I know other people were and are too. Misery really does love company especially for Christmas but now it’s over and I couldn’t be happier about it. The clouds are breaking up and it looks like there will be some sunshine after all. Today was a day to catch a few rays.

My phone rang. My email filled up even more. I was a blip on someone’s radar and I felt fantastic knowing that other people took time to think of me. Marc Schultz called and was interested in getting one of our frequent lunches and that was exactly what I needed today. It’s always low pressure and fun and gave me something to look forward to that I enjoy.

On the way to his house my phone wouldn’t stop ringing. My car was like my own little fan club headquarters as people called to say hey and Happy New Year and thanks for the funny Christmas card. My effort of sending out all those cards to people I hadn’t seen in a while has paid off already. I’m glad I listened to my inner voice. When I do that I’m okay.

Mike Preston called. I really like and respect Mike. He’s very funny and like me is going through a complete reinvention of himself. He realizes how comedy clubs aren’t the future so like me he has to find another road. Well neither of us HAVE to but if we don’t both of us would wind up on CNN in an ugly hostage situation. We know it’s time for a change.

I have been a guest on Mike’s TV show ’Psychobabble’ many times. He has used it as a creative outlet for several years and it’s really a fun show but he hasn’t found a way to get it to pay off financially. I totally relate to that. He’s going to take a break for a while so he can work on an angle he thinks can get more corporate work. I hope he is a huge success.

It takes guts to be an entertainer of any kind but comedians have it the hardest. Comedy is NOT easy and most of us who are able to do it have little or no business acumen or any kind of financial skills whatsoever. I am trying to be smart and change that as is Mike and other comedian friends I have like Jim McHugh and Darryl Roades in Atlanta and several other people with talent that the public hasn’t heard of yet and unfortunately might never.

Talent doesn’t mean guaranteed success and never did. Jamie Lynn Spears and her little illegitimate waterhead cloven hoofed demon baby gets the lion’s share of coverage on TV while smart funny talented people like Mike Preston have to drive to the U.P. to do a hell gig for $200 to pay his cell phone bill. Is there any justice there Johnnie Cochran? Uh uh.

But that’s the life we chose and the life none of us want to give up. The pull of the stage is truly that strong. I’ll still do comedy shows even when I’m the King of Uranus. Really.

No comments: