Sunday, December 9, 2007

Computer Down

Monday December 3rd, 2007 - Chicago, IL

Back in Chicago and back to work. Nobody knows or cares how truly difficult this last week really was and I don’t need to bring anyone else down. It won’t change anything and going back and reliving it will only frustrate me more. It’s over and I need to look ahead. I had a jam packed schedule today and all I wanted to do was honor all of my commitments.

The first stop was downtown Chicago to be on WLS radio at 10:30. I was going to take the train but I haven’t done that before from where I live and I didn’t need to be marooned someplace with no way to get to the station. I took my car even though I just drove across the country to get home and paid $28 to park for two hours because I wanted to get there.

Jerry Agar and the other comedians are depending on me and I wouldn’t let them down. If I say I’m going to do something I really do try my very best to honor my word. That’s a courtesy I would like shown to me so I do it to others even though I don’t always get it to come back. That’s out of my control but what I can control I really do try to get it right.

I didn’t go into details about my week with the guys. I tried to focus on the show and it went well. It’s still a work in progress but we’re starting to get a flow going. This was our fourth time doing the bit and it will keep getting better if we can stay on the air for at least a few months and let it grow. Radio people don’t seem to be patient for things like that. It won’t happen overnight but that’s what everyone wants. It’s just not realistic to expect it.

We all went out to lunch after the show and talked about where we can take this thing if we can stay on the air with it. Jerry is trying it out and the program director is very fond of the concept but things can change quickly in radio. The possibilities are endless and to use a few guesses would be wasted typing because anything but that would happen. All we are hoping to do is stay with it for a few months so we can do live shows and make money.

I brought my computer with me to get some work done because I was going to be in the city all day. Comedy class graduation at Zanies was tonight and it would be stupid to drive home just to have to come back in the city again. I turned on the computer and it wouldn’t sign online. I was going to be in town anyway so I took it to a Best Buy where I bought it.

The Geek Squad looked at it and said I have to leave it for ‘3-5 business days’ so all the problems could be fixed and it would cost $550. Gulp. That’s not at all what I expected to hear but that’s what it was. Apparently there were viruses on it and I certainly did want to get all my data backed up so part of the money was for a portable hard drive. I want to get all of this kind of minutia done now before the new year so I can hit the ground running.

Another fantastic graduation show at Zanies tonight. I’ve lost count but it’s been a lot. I love to see everyone go up and blow the roof off the joint but I can feel that I need a break from it for a while. This was a difficult class in many ways and I’m just burned out. I like it but it’s too much work for too little financial payoff. Everyone had fun and I was proud of them all but now I think I’ll take a break from this and focus on being the King Of Uranus.

No comments: