Sunday, December 9, 2007

A Week At Zanies

Tuesday December 4th, 2007 - Lake Villa, IL

I feel naked without a computer but there isn’t much I can do about it. I will work hard on whatever else I can until I get it back and hopefully I won’t have to be in this situation again in the future but there’s no guarantee of that. Maybe I should have a backup but for now all I can afford is one computer. I’m screwed for a few days and that’s how it will be.

My phone still works so I called Marc Schultz to have lunch. We go about once a week and after last week’s nightmare through Arkansas and Oklahoma I needed a pep talk. He’s a great guy to hang out with because we have so much in common. If we want to drift off and talk about sports or pro wrestling we can or we can talk about the comedy business as well. He’s a booker and although he doesn’t do comedy exclusively I still learn from him.

Marc is very sharp and if I get any kind of a name from being the King of Uranus I want him to handle my bookings. It would be good for him and good for me too. We discussed what it would take to get more high paying gigs and weed myself out of the club dead end I’ve been in for so long. I am able to survive but it’s not a career maker. I need that break.

At least I have someone I trust in place should I ever get my shot at the big money. He’s a legitimate agent and is licensed and registered and ready to go. He’s very honest too and that’s a huge deal with me especially after having been cleaned out by my last partner. This would be good for both of us but it’s not going to be easy. Getting booked with corporate types can be tricky. There is no ‘circuit’ and it is more marketing than talent that is hired.

My hands are going to be very full for 2008. I won’t be able to do the kind of marketing I’d need to to get full time corporate bookings but that’s ok. If I get even a dozen I will be doing great. The main thing I want to work on next year is establishing myself as the King Of Uranus character and getting my website off the ground. That will be my main focus.

This week my focus is doing good shows at Zanies in Chicago. I am there all week from tonight through Sunday and then I’m back again on Monday to host a showcase. Zanies is my home club and they have been great to me but this will be a hectic week in many ways. The 52 mile drive each way is a factor as is the fact that I’m recording the whole weekend.
\
Today it snowed like a beast and weather was an issue both ways. These are the surprise details nobody plans for and it made it even more of a challenge to get there on time. I did it but didn’t have much time to spare. I was white knuckled on the wheel hoping I’d show up on time and that’s never a good feeling. Stress doesn’t improve anyone’s performance.

There was a small audience because of the weather but they were very into what I did. It was a lot of fun for me but the feature act this week could be an issue. His energy on stage is not in sync with mine at all and he hated this audience. That’s a red flag I need to watch.

He’s a younger good looking hip kid and he’s very cocky and pompous on stage. People I attract wouldn’t necessarily like his act and vice versa. He could make it very unpleasant if he gets people that like his style which is totally possible. Yet another delicate situation.

No comments: