Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Loose Balls

Tuesday December 18th, 2007 - Lake Villa, IL

Today is the first of four days off and I love the very thought of it. A comedian is always on the road and getting to hang out and do nothing is a real treat. It is for me anyway. I’ve been all over the place this year and having a few days off to rest is just what I need. If this coming year goes how I think it will I’m going to need all the rest I can get to get ready.

I need to make sure I’m smart in my use of time in the next little while. I’ve got so many projects either getting ready to start or getting ready to wind up that I don’t want to leave anything out. Time management is going to be my biggest problem in the coming year so I am going to do my very best to be prepared before the year even starts. That’s new for me because usually I just plow into something I think I want to do and see how it works out.

I did that with comedy and radio and comedy classes too. I dabbled in it a little and then it became more than just a dabble and then I was eventually spending a lot of time doing it. I never had much foresight with any of it and I did it all because I enjoyed it. Had I just an itty bitty tiny bit of thought invested into any of those things I would be a lot farther along than I am right now. Too late now. What‘s done is done but I can still learn from all of it.

Whatever happens with Uranus Factory Outlet will be a direct result of what I put into it for as long as it takes to make it successful. I’ve had a lifetime of all kinds of experiences I can draw upon in this endeavor and I’m going to do exactly that. I’ve failed before so that doesn’t frighten me at all. It’s the success part that gives me the jitters a little. Can I do it?

I really believe I can do it. Now I have to prove myself right. I also have to survive until the big money comes rolling in which could be a while down the road. That’s why my time management skills are going to be so crucial in the next year. I have money put aside to be used to pay bills for a year but I still need to take some comedy work to stay in the game.

I also need to keep working on the business too so I’ll be very busy at all times. I hope it doesn’t burn me out so I will be careful to eat better and exercise more and take care of all the things I need to take care of. It’s an ongoing process and I have to stay on top of it. At least it’s all stuff I enjoy though so that makes it a lot better but it doesn’t make it easier.

I know what I’m in for so I took some time off to read a great book called ‘Loose Balls’ which is the story of the old American Basketball Association. I remember it all very well as that was when I was growing up in the ‘70s. There were all the huge afros and the red white and blue ball and the three point shot and it brought back memories to read about it.

I really enjoyed it because it had a lot of insight into the spirit of the league. It was a new upstart project just like what I’m doing and the people who started it had a lot of guts. I’m not assured of any success and neither were they. Some of them won and others did not. If they didn’t try they never would have found out so it was very inspiring to read the stories of the owners and players and what they had to go through to establish themselves and get some respect. I need to surround myself with some people who have a spirit of adventure.

No comments: