Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Exploring Uranus

Wednesday December 12th, 2007 - Lake Villa, IL

Took a day to just hang out and relax. I won’t be having many of those coming up and it doesn’t bother me a bit. I am getting ready for 2008 and hoping to spend the year trying to establish my Uranus Factory Outlet business. That should keep me quite busy even though I won’t be doing as much road work as I have been for the last 20 years. This is a new era.

That’s what I’m telling myself and of course road work is coming in left and right. I got a call today to do a one nighter up near Minneapolis on January 13th which I will take. It’s a chance to get back to Minneapolis but this time I will go there not only for comedy but a chance to network with others in the entertainment field. I need to expand my horizons.

For years I traveled and never took time to network like I should have. I went to places to do comedy and met comedy people but I should have been trying to find corporate type bookers and entertainment bureaus as well. One corporate date will usually pay more than a whole week at a comedy club. Most bigger cities have them and I just never tried to get in with those people. Now as I get older I need to do that and this is the year I will begin.

Another direction I need to go is meeting people who can help me with Uranus Factory Outlet in any way. Most towns have a joke shop in some form so those people would be a group to cultivate for ideas. Maybe I can buy products from them or even exchange ideas they can use in their business too. Either way I need to open my eyes and travel as wisely as I can. Just going places to do comedy gigs is not enough anymore. I need to expand.

Greeting cards is a product I want to explore and I have been collecting funny ones as I see them. I’ve got a lot of Christmas cards that are very funny and I started sending some out today to the people I thought would appreciate them. I only am interested in the funny ones and in my opinion sending a serious Christmas card is a waste of postage. But that’s me. I know other people really enjoy Christmas cards but as for me I like them humorous.

The more I work on this business the more I understand that it’s a people business. I am going to make funny products myself and license them from others and become a place of gathering for people who enjoy humor. I will meet some great people with this and I have already. My mindset is good and I have experience from being a comedian my whole life.

I really think I’m going to make this work. I feel it. I want to be smart about it and get a team of people around me with a similar energy and together we can build this into a great place for creative minds to connect. That’s what drives me the most. I love to create and it never gets old. If I can find others who like it too we can make the sum greater than all of the parts. On paper this looks like a dumb little scheme but in reality it’s my life’s purpose.

Uranus is going to be a lot friendlier than Earth has been. I’ve taken some lumps for the majority of my life but now I can see it turning around. I have a year to get this going and I plan on doing exactly that. If by this time next year I’m not starting to see a payoff I will look for something else but I don’t see that happening. 2008 will be the year of Uranus!

No comments: