Wednesday, December 12, 2007

DMV Delight

Tuesday December 11th, 2007 - Milwaukee, WI/Lake Villa, IL

The hassles of life never end. I got a call at 8:59 this morning from the Waukegan Auto Auction telling me there was a problem with the Honda I am trying to sell. The title has an error in the VIN number and an ‘S’ should be a number 5. They can’t sell it until it’s fixed and if I wanted it sold I had to take care of it. I tried to tell them I bought the car from the auction and if there was an error they should have caught it but all of it fell on deaf ears.

I scraped the ice crust off my new old Honda and drove over there and got the title. The girl behind the counter barely spoke English and I knew I couldn’t win any arguments so I just resolved myself to having to deal with the DMV which is about as much fun as a scalp full of head lice. The weather was brutal and a sleet storm was keeping everyone on edge.

It also kept a lot of people off the roads. All the radio stations warned everybody to stay off the roads and some of them actually listened. When I got to the DMV office it looked like it was closed. I have never seen it that empty in my life and I got right up to the front of the line immediately. This was too good to be true! With all the vehicles I’ve registered in my life I have to say this was the best DMV experience I’ve ever had. It was refreshing.

The woman behind the counter was pleasant and smiling and I can’t ever remember that in a DMV office. I slowly explained my problem with the mistake on the title and she took it all in and solved it in about thirty seconds. She dug up a copy of the old title and looked at the number and sure enough there was an error. She replaced it and at no charge even.

Now I knew I was on the wrong planet but enjoyed the trip. The other thing I had to do was register the new Honda and that took about three minutes. My ‘URANUS1’ plate is a winner because the lady laughed out loud when she saw it on my application. This is how I know I have a winner with this whole idea. The public gets it and I am going to succeed.

As a total shot in the dark I asked if I could renew my driver’s license too. I am due for a new one by my birthday in March but she said I could do it today if I wanted. Plus, there would be a $10 increase in price after the first of the year so I’d save that by doing it now. I took care of it all and now I’m legal in every way on the highway. I couldn’t believe it.

Never in my life have I had such an easy time at the DMV. It was in and out and I got all my business done without a hitch. I even went over to the emissions station and that was a breeze too. This one passed immediately and I’m good for two more years. The Mitsubishi was a sweet little car and I made money with it but this Honda is way better. It’s a cherry.

After all the car business I drove up to Milwaukee to have a pizza with my cousin Brett. This would be our Christmas because he’s busy and so am I coming up and we always like to hang out and blow off steam once in a while. That’s exactly what we did and both of us needed it. Our family life has been insane and this time of year isn’t pleasant for either one of us. The pizza was delicious and I drove home in the snow with a full gut thinking about how to make Uranus Factory Outlet a multi-million dollar entity. I really think I can do it.

No comments: