Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Back To Uranus

Tuesday February 5th, 2008 - Milwaukee, WI/Lake Villa, IL

I’m way too scattered and it needs to stop. I’m not sure if I can. All the things I’m doing are fun to me and I like working on them all but when I spend time on one thing all of the others get left to rot on the vine. Then I go do something else and what I was just doing is thrown on the dung heap for a while. I have to seriously think of how to pack all of it in.

Doing it the way I’m doing it isn’t working. I’m all over the place. Today I had to go up to Milwaukee to record an interview for WMYX radio that will run on Friday morning. It plugs the show I’m doing this Saturday night at the Racine Theatre Guild. I can’t blow the interview off so I had to drive up there and do it in the studio. That wiped out work time.

I realize it’s not torture to do a radio interview and it could be a lot worse but today was a day I wanted to get refocused on Uranus Factory Outlet. That’s my big dream but I have been letting it fall through the cracks and it’s frustrating. Too many other things have had to get done and my big project is laying dormant. So is my movie script too. That’s bad.

Taxes are going to be coming up too and I need to work on those in addition to working out who will be doing both my personal website and the Uranus one too. That’s not what I planned on but my former business partner has left me in the trick bag. I haven’t had any time to even look for a new person yet because I’ve been out working a lot doing shows.

And what about my comedy classes? I love teaching those and would like to continue it both live and online but again I just don’t have the time to organize it. My partner was the administrator of those too and he did do a good job at that part of it but now that’s gone. I see other classes popping up in the area and they’ll all find out how hard it is. I did it first.

Just because someone is first doesn’t always mean they’re the biggest or wealthiest. The restaurant business is packed with examples of that. Howard Johnson’s was in business a long time before Denny’s or Perkins but I don’t see many around. White Castle started in 1921 but McDonald’s blew them and everyone else out of the water. Ray Kroc was king.

I need to be a Ray Kroc at something. Is it comedy classes? Standup comedy itself? It’s not easy to revolutionize anything and there has to be luck and timing involved too. What should I focus my limited time on that will net the biggest return? I wish I knew. I love to do comedy and I love to teach classes and I love the idea of being the King of Uranus too.

I also love to wheel and deal sports cards. Buying a load of those on Ebay didn’t help at all but in the long run it will be ok. For now I need to drop most of what I’m doing and do the things that need to be done first. Getting up with no plan every day and working on all of these things randomly is not the smart way to do it but that’s exactly what I’ve done.

This week is going to be key because I’m only working on Saturday night. I have a very good opportunity to get myself straightened out and back on some kind of regular plan so I can make the best use of my time. There’s a lot of stuff to do between Earth and Uranus.

No comments: