Sunday, February 3, 2008

A Super Sunday

Sunday February 3rd, 2008 - Chicago, IL

Super Bowl Sunday. The last thing I intended to do today was watch the game since my beloved Packers got squeezed out but I got a call from Bill Gorgo inviting me over for his own mini Super Bowl party. I’ll always say yes when I get a call from Bill because I’ll get a heaping helping of great grub included in the deal. That boy knows how to chow down.

Corned beef was the fare of the day and it was fantastic. Hanging out and relaxing while watching football and eating corned beef sandwiches is a hard thing to turn down. We all loved the game and if the Packers weren’t in it I was happy to see the Giants win. They’re the team of destiny this year and they deserved to win it all. The underdogs got their bone.

I wonder if Michael Vick got to watch the game in prison? I bet he wasn’t eating corned beef sandwiches and hanging out with friends like I got to so that made it even better. The food and company were both outstanding and that’s another thing I have to be grateful for in my life. There are a lot of good things happening to me right now and I am claiming it.

I’m still on a high from the shows last night in Milwaukee. The whole night was just so much fun all around. The time on stage was electric but it was more than that. The people who made it a point to come out and see me is what made it special. Even some people in the audience who hadn’t seen me before came up and told me how much they enjoyed it.

One guy in his mid 40s came up and said ‘Thanks for taking me back to my childhood. I could relate to everything you said and my shirt is wet from laughing so hard I cried.’ It doesn’t get any better than that and when he shook my hand I could tell he really meant it.

Making a connection like that with a stranger really tells me I’m hitting my comic stride.
It’s important to note this time in my life because I can feel it’s about to get even better. I have been slaying my Milwaukee hometown dragon for a couple of years now and every time I come back and perform I have been having experiences like this over and over. It’s a mental victory every time someone comes up and tells me they really enjoyed my show.

I don’t need to prove anything to anyone anymore. That’s all over with now. The people that think I’m a tool will always think that and no matter what I do to try and make up for it they are determined to be angry with me no matter how sorry I am. If I could change the things I did in the past I would but I can’t and if they don’t forgive me that’s their choice.

But those people are the ones with the problems, not me. I am getting stronger in a very good way and for every one of them who still treat me like soiled shorts there are a whole lot more who don’t. I have earned my stripes but I can’t please everyone so why even try? The ones who like it are getting larger in number and the ones who don’t are in the past.

There are a lot of new challenges in my life I want to attempt and my mindset is exactly where it needs to be right now. I haven’t had a bad depression bout in months but I’m not guaranteed I won’t in the future. As for today life is starting to heat up and get interesting.

No comments: