Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Dream Training

Tuesday February 26th, 2008 - Lake Villa, IL

Started to get some momentum going in a good way today. I’m trying to look at what’s really important in life and focus on that. I like a lot of things and that takes my attention in a lot of directions. That’s fine but I need to make a list of priorities so I can have some kind of order to it all rather than aimlessly wander in circles like I’ve been doing lately.

The Uranus business is a long term plan but will make my retirement years happy if I’m able to pull it off. Comedy is my current business and it’s going pretty well. I am working every week and a lot of people I know aren’t so that’s good. I might not be working in the places I want to work all the time but I do have income and gigs and that should continue.

What I focused on today was the in between. WLS is a fun thing that could lead to great rewards if handled correctly. Being one who has handled a lot of things poorly in my life I want to be extra careful not to blow this opportunity. I laid out a master plan of ideas for a way to turn this once a week segment into a moneymaker for the comics and for Jerry too.

I spent a couple of hours on it and I focused on all aspects of what we’re doing and how we can get better at it. NOBODY is doing what we’re doing in a format like we are so it’s open territory to make it pay off. After years of seeing how others did it it’s not necessary to be the best at anything, only that we’re the FIRST. That’s a painful lesson I’ve learned.

When I started I used to want to be the best comedian around because I thought it would make me rich and successful and everything would just work out. Boy was I totally off. It just doesn’t work that way and rather than fight it I am learning to go with the flow. I still want to be the best comedian I can be but I know now that I’m the only one who’ll care.

It felt good to think about the whole idea because it’s become a reality out of nothing. It started with an idea and now it’s been on the air for a couple of months and it’s starting to grow a little. It could grow a lot more with some care and thought and I started taking it to the next level today by outlining what we could all do to keep it progressing to that point.

This is the kind of stuff I love doing. I’m never depressed when I’m working on ideas to improve on especially when they’re associated with things I like doing. Comedy and radio are two things I love to do and to combine both with a chance to make money is the best.

After I was done working on the radio ideas I sorted a big load of sports cards I won on Ebay and found out I got a pretty nice deal. It was about 900 cards for $125 but there’s all kinds of interesting and unusual stuff in there. That put me in a great mood and I listened to a recording of a motivational speech by Vince Lombardi which I hadn’t heard before.

Actually he wasn’t all that great of a speaker but what he talked about what fantastic. It wasn’t particularly fancy or dynamic like a Tony Robbins or a Zig Ziglar but it was full of good solid ideas to put in my head and I let it soak in as I sorted cards. These are all of the things I need to be doing on a regular basis and if I keep this up I’ll start to see big results.

No comments: