Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Master Plan

Tuesday February 19th, 2008 - Kenosha, WI

The master plan is starting to take shape. I am working on a lot of things right now but I think they’re all worth my time. If I can pull them all off successfully I’ll be in a very nice position to make all my dreams come true. If I don’t I’ll still be doing things I really enjoy so I’m not taking much of a risk at all. It’s a big undertaking though and time is an issue.

Today I went to Kenosha to meet with my old 93QFM buddy John Perry. We’ve known each other since 1991 and kept in contact ever since. He’s the operations manager at what used to be three radio stations but now is down to two. I’ve worked for him over the years in many capacities and now we’re doing it again. The radio bug will not leave me alone.

This is a totally different situation than before. I did fill in weekend work at WIIL and it was supposed to lead to the morning show but never did. It was a political thing and I was not in the right position and didn’t get the gig. It was disappointing at the time but I didn’t lose a friendship over it. John is a great guy and way more important than a job opening.

Then I did mornings at a country station WEXT which got sold and is now a successful Spanish station. This time I’ll be co-hosting a show with Jimmy Novack who I met at the Loop when I worked there. It’s going to be a talk show about the paranormal that will be aired on AM1050 WLIP on Sunday afternoons. That‘s a station I haven’t been on before.

A lot of good things can come from this. WLIP has a strong signal and can be heard for many miles north and south of Kenosha. It goes into both Milwaukee and Chicago which is good and it’s also a chance to have some creative freedom to do a show about what has always been of interest to me. I will be able to pick the topics and shape the show myself.

Jimmy is a great guy and very positive and we’ll have a lot of fun doing this. He’s a big fan of UFOs and Bigfoot and ghost sightings and conspiracy theories and we’ll put all of those kinds of things on the air. There are no real ratings issues on a Sunday afternoon for a Kenosha station so we can have some freedom to develop the show and make it grow.

The master plan in this situation would be to get a unique show going and eventually be asked to fill in on Coast to Coast AM which goes nationwide. If I am developing both the radio show and Uranus Factory Outlet at the same time one will feed off the other. This is not going to be an easy task and it won’t be ground breaking radio at first but it will grow.

I went to the station and John and I brainstormed a little and came up with a plan to get the show on the air by March 3rd. I won’t be paid for it at first but eventually I will get to plug Uranus Factory Outlet when I get that going. That makes me want to do it even more but I can only go as fast as I can go. I see the master plan but it will take a while to do it.

Plus I still have to finish out my comedy bookings. I’m getting work left and right and I don’t want to stop any of it so I will let it all keep coming and do what I can to sort it out as it comes. It looks like the mother ship will land in Kenosha and then head for Uranus.

No comments: