Thursday, February 7, 2008

Cold Cocked

Wednesday February 6th, 2008 - Lake Villa, IL

A snow day! I didn’t leave the house all day and I felt like I was back in school again. It was a chance to catch up on some of the things I’ve been letting go and I did make a little bit of progress but not as much as I would have liked to. I took some cold medicine and it knocked me out. I laid down for a nap about 2pm and didn’t wake up until 7:30. Yikes.

That’s more than a nap. That’s bordering on mini coma. Cold medicine always takes me out even if it says ‘non drowsy’. I don’t know what it is but I know it’s true. I’m glad I am not a druggie because I’d probably either be dead by now or a total junkie. I wanted to not be sick for my show on Saturday and I felt something coming on so I took some medicine to help drive it out of my system. It also drove all my energy away and I zonked out cold.

These are about the only drug stories I will ever have. Most of my friends growing up at least tried drugs at some point and many comedians are more than casual users. I’ve often been in a comedy condo on the road somewhere where the other two comedians are doing bong hits on the couch while I’m trying to watch Sportscenter. It never looked fun to me.

I’m not trying to be holier than thou but I’ve never done illegal drugs. Not once. I never smoked even one puff of a joint or did a line of coke or ate psychedelic mushrooms or did heroin or dropped acid. I’ve known people who’ve done it all. There aren’t a lot of happy stories associated with drugs. I’ve never heard ‘Hey! I shot some smack and found a job!’

I’ve had more than one person tell me they thought I should drop acid. Hey, thanks! To get that kind of advice is almost as smart as a stock broker telling me to buy Enron shares. The people who told me all said it would ‘expand my mind’ and let me see things in quite a new light. I don’t know if I’d like that new light and I’m not going to take any chances.

I’m happy with my creativity quotient as it is. That’s not the problem. The problem is a matter of taking action. That’s the hard part for everyone. It’s easy to have ideas whether they’re drug induced or not. Making them come to life is an entirely different situation. It takes careful planning and daily effort and it’s never easy. Being on drugs wouldn’t help.

The day wasn’t a total loss as I went right to work when I woke up. I worked on sorting all of my tax 1099s from last year and getting my list of bookers ready to hit up for work. I really need to do a booker blast just to touch base and let them know I’m still available. I have enough work for the time being but keeping on a booker’s radar is a constant job.

I also heard from my friend Shelley who is going to be helping me reorganize my whole website. Her sister in law is a web designer and Shelley is very sharp herself. I have good feelings about hiring them to help me revamp the whole thing and start all over. I need it.

Shelley is a former student and I trust her. Plus she’s a Packer fan so that’s a big plus as well. Getting new blood in my website will improve it dramatically and it couldn’t come at a better time. Inch by inch I’m starting to get myself in gear. Let’s see about tomorrow.

No comments: