Thursday, February 28, 2008

Lunch With The Boys

Thursday February 28th, 2008 - Chicago, IL

I think I struck a nerve with some people. Yesterday I wrote about how I’m feeling a big lack of faith in God and it stirred up a lot of strong feelings - most of them negative. I said what I truly felt as I always do and I still feel that way. I wish I didn’t but I do. Maybe I’ll get a new perspective on it at some point but for now I’m highly disappointed with it all.

A comedian’s job is to pick apart things that are thought to be sacred and find the faults. Then we can hopefully point them out in a funny way so all of us can feel better. We have trained our brains to think that way and having faith in anything goes against our thought process. I wasn’t trying to stir up trouble and I’m still not but God seems very far away.

What’s close is life as I know it and all the problems that go with it. Maybe God has all He can handle in running the universe so I won’t bother Him with my little piss ant life. It seems less and less important the more I think about it and I don’t want to bother anybody with my little life. There are a lot more important things going on than my mental tweaks.

Today I had lunch with Marc Schultz and Tim Walkoe. Tim is one of my favorite comic minds to be around because he makes me look slow. I talk fast on stage and pack a punch but Tim cranks it up about five notches more than I do. At lunch it’s like bees buzzing.

I hadn’t seen Tim in a while and I thought he was angry with me for being on WLS. He is very liberal politically as are many comedians and I don’t like to really talk about what anyone’s politics are because it might lead to an argument. Tim got in my face about why I would associate with conservatives but Jerry has been my friend for about twenty years.

I like to think of myself as an independent because I think about each issue and decide it in my mind after careful thought. On some things I’m liberal and others conservative. I’m sure I’m not the only one who does that and I think it’s the best way but so does everyone else. That’s my problem with religion too. Everyone thinks they’re the only ones correct.

We had a good lunch and when politics came up I tried to change the subject. All three of us like sports so I tried to steer it that way to avoid any uncomfortable situations and it worked pretty well. We had fun and talked about sports and comedy and how comedy has been changing lately. There are a lot of bad comics out there and they’re hurting us all.

Tim has been doing cruise ships lately and we talked all about that. I am not really that kind of act and am not sure if I want to be. Yes the money sounds wonderful but if I have to be holed up in some tiny room near the poop deck puking into a bucket I think I’ll pass. Tim can play the guitar if he needs to and I don’t have that option. On a boat I’d need it.

That doesn’t mean I’d never do it and we talked about that vs. the club scene now. That seems to be dying on the vine and staying in it for the long haul looks to be certain death. That’s why I started the Uranus business and now it’s time to make that come to life. I am on the right track and I feel it even more after talking to Tim. I need to focus on Uranus.

No comments: