Tuesday, February 19, 2008

President's Day

Monday February 18th, 2008 - Chicago, IL

Just another manic Monday except that it’s President’s Day. Banks are closed and there is no mail delivery. That seems to be contradictory to what the ideals of a president would be but who am I to argue? I think some stores made all of this up just so they could have a ‘big blowout everything MUST go - no payments until 2013’ white sale. God bless us all.

I’m not opposed to remembering George Washington and Abraham Lincoln but why do we need to close the post office and bank to do it? Aren’t their pictures represented on the currency and stamps? I would think they would be open later just so we could all go in for a refresher course on the great patriotic things those two presidents did for our country.

I guess it doesn’t work that way. I took the train into Chicago to be on WLS and nobody was talking about any presidents. They were talking about how cold it was and not in very positive tones. I’m happy I only have to commute one day a week. Doing it every day is a grind I wouldn’t care for right now. I thought about how lucky I was and the ride was fun.

I’ve got a lot of fun things going on right now. That’s what I want to be known for. If it isn’t fun I don’t want to do it. I made it this far in life without giving in and ending all my dreams so why do it now? I have some seeds planted that could really pay off in a big way in the not too distant future. WLS is one of them so taking a train ride every week is fine.

Now I need to find out exactly how to do that. We have our segment on the air for a half hour every week which turns out to be about 15 minutes after news and commercials. We are still getting the whole concept together but there have been some good moments and I think we’ll continue to improve. I’m mainly doing it to help Jerry Agar but that’s not all.

This could be a win/win for everybody. Jerry gets content for his show and we as a live show could do venues in the area that comedians normally wouldn’t do. That’s the key to making this all pay off and how to handle it is delicate. Steve Cochran is a comedian who also does radio and he’s on WGN. He’s been doing live shows in the area for years now.

Steve is a good guy and a funny comic too and has found a nice niche with his shows. It could be the same way for us but we still need to keep showing up every week and keep it growing. It’s fun to build something from the ground up and breathe life into it and that’s what I’m doing with quite a few projects right now. Uranus Factory Outlet is another one.

I heard from my friend Max in Springfield, IL today and we’re going to meet later in the week so I can meet both his printer and t-shirt maker for the radio station where he works. Max said they’re both great guys and would love to help out with Uranus stuff. I’ll take it. My computer person Shelley is on vacation with her family and she’ll be back next week.

These are all the things I need to do to make my dreams happen and I’m laying a strong foundation so I can start building without worrying if it will collapse. I already have good people in the mix now it’s my job to get it all running smoothly. I’m up for the challenge.

No comments: