Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Train Dreaming

Monday February 25th, 2008 - Chicago, IL

Busy ‘til I’m dizzy. That’s how I want to stay. What good is life if there isn’t something fun and interesting going on? I can sleep when I’m dead and that’ll happen soon enough. I want to use every remaining second of this life doing something productive. Mondays are my usual day of running all over the place and today was no exception but it was all good.

I’m becoming a semi-regular on the train downtown. I only ride one day a week but I’m starting to see the same people both going down and coming home. Most of them are very serious looking and seem to be off in another world of thought. Whatever they’re thinking of doesn’t look pleasant and I couldn’t be more thankful that I’m not one of these people.

There’s no way I could handle working a day job for very long without going on a spree of epic proportions. Riding the train has been a great source of inspiration to me if not for anything else but letting me know how lucky I truly am to be my own boss and do what is really important to me for my living. I may not be totally there yet but at least I’m trying.

The percentage of people who never take a swing at what they love has got to be huge. I see lots of unhappy people everywhere and this is supposed to be as good as it gets living in a country where freedom of choice is what built the place. What’s it like in Russia? No wonder they’re all stone faced boozers gassed up on vodka. They don’t get a chance at all.

That thought has been bouncing in my head for a couple of days now. I am so lucky that I live in America even though there are many things going wrong with it. I doubt if it was ever perfect and I think the world was wacked before I ever got here. This can’t be ‘it’ but it’s it for now and all of us have to live our lives and eventually we’ll see what’s up next.

I hope there’s a next world of some kind and I hope I get to experience love and fairness and peace and a lot of the good things that seem to be missing in this one. Imagine what it would be like on a train where EVERYONE loved their jobs and was getting enough love and plenty of sex and things were looking up and there was enough money to go around.

Imagine that train ride. I doubt if it would be the somber, silent smile-free sentence I’ve seen on Mondays for the last few weeks. I bet there would be music playing and sampling of home cooked breakfast treats and exchanging of phone numbers and nobody would get angry if the train was early or late. That’s the planet I want to live on someday. Is it there?

I sure hope so. That’s what keeps me going while I work through my problems on Earth as time slips away by the day. Sometimes it’s difficult to stay focused and positive and all of it just turns into a big blur. Today I was focused on being thankful and I realize that it’s all temporary no matter what it is. Even the good. One day Trump won’t have his money.

Tonight I was at Zanies closing the show for the ‘Zaniest Lawyer In Chicago’ contest. It is Zanies’ 30th anniversary and they’re doing contests all year for people from all walks of life who dream of being comedians. There are a lot. I lived their dream and I’m thankful.

No comments: