Saturday, June 11, 2011

Comedian's Comedians

Thursday June 9th, 2011 - Grand Rapids, MI

   Whenever I think I have troubles, I think of my friend Ted Norkey. Ted is a comedian’s comedian, and if there was a Hall of Fame for performers of the ‘80s boom years, he’d be a card carrying charter member. Anyone in the business who knows Ted loves him dearly.

   There’s just something about his style that’s special and different, and when comedians who’ve worked the road for any length of time talk among ourselves about who’s the best in our eyes, Ted’s name always pops up fondly. Whatever ‘it’ is, Ted has it. He’s brilliant.

   The sad part is, nobody in the public knows who he is. Like many of the crop of comics from that era, Ted never went to Hollywood to play that insane game. He was proud to be a comic, and that’s who he was. Unfortunately, that decision very rarely makes one rich.

   Ted isn’t the only member of that bittersweet club. Other names that pop up in my head quickly are Frankie Bastille, John Riggi, Larry Reeb, Tim Walkoe, Dwight York, Dwayne Kennedy, Don Reese, Steve Seagren, Carla Filisha, Keith Stubbs, Jimmy McHugh, Mark Colella, Tim Slagle, Count Woodrow, Rick D’Elia and unfortunately Dobie Maxwell too.

   All these acts have the eyes, ears and respect of other performers, but are nowhere near at the level of public recognition I feel they all deserve. A few of the names have hit it big in other areas, like John Riggi and Carla Filisha. They’ve both done very well as big time Hollywood writers, and deservedly so - but they were also performers comedians loved.

   Steve Seagren has been doing quite well as an actor, and unfortunately Frankie Bastille is no longer with us. The rest of those names are out struggling to make a living, and I can totally empathize with all their plights because I’m one of them. These are quality people in addition to being quality acts, but for whatever reason none of us have had our break.

   It’s not a matter of talent with any of those names, including myself. It’s a matter of lots of other things like timing and luck and business acumen and desire and all kinds of other variables that make up the recipe. Talent is never the only ingredient, it’s a total package.

   That’s how it goes, and we have to either accept it or quit the business. None of us have anything we like better or are better suited for, so we usually end up staying in it trying to make the best of whatever we do have at our disposal. Ted had a very ugly break when he got cancer many years ago, but he’s made a fantastic recovery and we’re thrilled for him.

   Ted lives near Grand Rapids, MI and runs an open mic night at a place that did comedy regularly for years called ‘The Crazy Horse’. It might sound like a dive, but it’s actually a very nice venue and I’ve always had fun there. Ted asked me to show up so I had to do it.

   It fit in with my schedule this week, so I gladly said I’d come out and do the show, but I mainly wanted to see Ted. He looks and sounds great, and his wife Lynn cooked us all big steaks on the grill. Ted Norkey is a big star in my eyes, and it was great to hook up again.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: