Friday, June 17, 2011

Library Laughter

Thursday June 16th, 2011 - Chelsea, MI

   Once in a great while, everything falls into place in an unexpected way and pleasantness is the theme of an entire day. Today was one of those days and I thoroughly enjoyed every single second of it. It didn’t make me rich, it didn’t make me famous, but it was total fun.

   I was asked by Roger Feeny, booker of the Ann Arbor Comedy Showcase, to perform at an outdoor show under a tent in front of the library in Chelsea, MI. That kind of request is not what would normally trip my trigger, but Roger assured me it wouldn’t be a hell ride.

   Roger is a very easy guy to deal with. I wish all bookers were like him. He’s as low key and laid back as it gets, and there’s never a problem with money or dates. The check is on time and never bounces, and if he puts a date in his book, it’s in - no last minute switches.

   I had a blast working at the Comedy Showcase last weekend, even though my voice was gone by Saturday night. Roger offered me this show and I gratefully accepted it. Money is tight in the summer, and a chance to turn a nice buck on a Thursday night is a rare treat.

   On the way up I stopped to have lunch in Kalamazoo with another great guy named Phil Anglin who I’ve done shows for in the past. He contacted me about helping him start up a comedy night years ago, and we’ve stayed in touch. He’s also fantastic to work with and a good person too. He’s an honest guy trying to make a living for his family in tough times.

   Any time I’m near Kalamazoo I try to hook up with Phil just because he’s such a quality person. If the comedy business were loaded with Roger Feenys and Phil Anglins, I’d be a superstar from coast to coast. Instead, I’m a semi regular in obscure towns in Michigan.

   That’s not to say every other booker is the devil, but many of the bigger ones do tend to be a little condescending and can be difficult, as can comics. The difference is, I don’t go looking to hang out personally with many of the big bookers. It’s just a business thing.

   Lunch with Phil was very fun, and so was the show in Chelsea. They have some sort of month long festival there, and they have a lot of events lined up from car shows to bands to four weeks of comedy shows. I am very grateful to have been chosen to be on the list.

   I’d heard the weather was supposed to be terrible, but it was exactly the opposite. It was about as perfect as could be asked for - no bugs, no rain, no humidity. It was sunny and in the 70s, and it set the mood for the whole show. People showed up ready to see comedy.

   Kevin Kramis was the host of the show, a very funny guy with a booming voice who is also the part time announcer for the Toledo Mud Hens baseball team. He’s one of the top Michigan guys, and did a wonderful job warming up the crowd and setting a good tone.

   Nate Armbruster was the feature, and he was cool too. The whole trip was laid back and there were no glitches. If comedy was like this every week, life would be a lot more fun.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: