Sunday, June 26, 2011

Hello Hospital

Monday June 20th, 2011 - Libertyville, IL

   My head’s still spinning from everything that went down yesterday, and it looks like I’ll be here in the hospital for at least a while. I’ve been getting poked and prodded and asked all kinds of questions by all kinds of people, and I can tell this is going to be complicated.

   The first thing that screams at me is, how the hell am I going to pay for all this? It’s the absolute worst nightmare of the uninsured, but it’s too late now. The damage is done and I’m going to have to deal with it somehow. That’s for later, I have to survive this first.

   I’ve got two major problems to deal with. One, my diabetes is going to be an issue for a long time. My diet has been horrible and I know it, and there’s only so long one can cheat and eat whatever pops into mind at any time. I’ve been doing that my whole life so if I am not able to go nuts anymore I can live with it. I know I’ve needed discipline for a while.

   Everyone and their uncle seems to know all the answers, but now I’m going to not only find out the truth - I’m going to live it. I can’t keep walking around with 500 blood sugar and expect to stay walking for any length of time. In a way, this could be a good thing if it gets me to get healthier and feel better. I’ve heard stories of people turning it around, too.

   I’m sure I’m in for a major education for the rest of my life, but for now all I want to do is get myself feeling better. I don’t really feel bad from the diabetes pe se, but my testicle is absolutely excruciating. It continues to swell, and the tissue around it is raw and sore.

   I had one doctor come in today and talk to me all about diabetes. I thought he was kind of pompous, but it’s not my place to judge that. I’ve got my own problems, and if he can help me get out of this pain, his personality quirks are fine by me. I sat and listened to his speech, and I doubt there is an easy fix here. I’ll need to revamp my life starting NOW.

   As soon as the doctor left, a nurse came in and started showing me how to measure the insulin shots I’d need to give myself eventually and how to prick my finger so I could get a blood sugar reading to determine how to do it. Needles have never been my favorite but I can see I’ll have to get used to them on a daily basis or I won’t be around too long. Ugh.

   Attitude is everything with this and that’s what the doctor and nurse both said. I need to get a positive outlook and know it’s not a death sentence and just go on living my life in a positive way. That was tough enough before, but now I’ve got a whole new game to learn. If nothing else, I’ve got a world class group of friends to help me through this challenge.

   Another doctor came in and talked to me about my flaming pelvis. He said he thinks it’s an indirect result of the diabetes and it’s getting infected with gangrene of all things. Now there’s a diagnosis I never expected. Gangrene on the crotch? That sounds like something people got in the Middle Ages, not something I’m dealing with in 2011. The doctor said it doesn’t look good and may or may not involve losing some of my genitalia. Say WHAT?

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: