Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tuesday Night Movie

Tuesday June 14th, 2011 - Kenosha, WI

   Still suffering with my watered down whooping cough, but I can’t let it overtake my life forever. If I croak from it, I croak, but I’ll try the cheapest solutions first. I feel a tad better after soaking my throat with all kinds of liquids, fruit juices, throat lozenges, cough drops and resting, but I’m still not out of the water. I don’t feel 100%, but I am feeling stronger.

   Everyone and their grandmother has an opinion of both what I have and what I need to do about it, and I appreciate that at least someone is thinking of me. Walking Pneumonia has been the common diagnosis, especially since I’ve had it before. I don’t know if it is or it isn’t, but I do know ‘Walking Pneumonia’ sounds like a really cool name for a band.

   I sat around and didn’t do much of anything most of the day, and that felt really good on many levels. I’ve not been exercising or eating as well as I’d like to lately, and I’m feeling the effects of it. I have to face the fact that I’m getting older and I can’t fart around with it anymore. My days of eating whatever I want need to be over, but I keep going back there.

   Again, I think soda is my main killer, and even yanking that alone from my daily menu has got to be a huge positive. I see people all the time on commercials bragging about the weight they lost with Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers or Rump Reducers or whatever.

   It is so easy to get off any kind of desirable path in life and so hard to stay on one. Why does that have to be the way it works? It’s very frustrating, and adds to the chances of not living a satisfied life by a ton. One little ice cream cone can ruin months or years of a diet. Planning on living right is one thing, carrying it out is another. Action means everything.

    If there’s one group that does follow through and take action, it’s the film group I’m in in Kenosha headed up by Mark Gumbinger. He goes about his business in a very forward driven method and gets things done. I respect that, and also like the people in the group.

   Mark is working on his next couple of projects, and I’ve managed to make it into a crew of regulars who have a part in it. It’s fun to be a part of the inner circle of something cool and at the very least I know I’ll be in the finished product and we’ll have a blast doing it.

   We’ve been having semi regular ‘movie nights’ for the last few months at Mark’s house in Kenosha where he has a large screening area in his basement. Mark plans the movie we see, so it blends in with whatever project he’s working on at the time. It’s very organized.

   In tonight’s feature presentation, we watched the 1969 version of ‘True Grit’ with John Wayne. I hadn’t seen it since I was a kid, and remember loving it then. I enjoyed the new version with Jeff Bridges as well. I wanted to see how the old one compared to the new.

   Sorry Duke, but it wasn’t even close. Movie making, like a lot of things, has come light years ahead in just a few decades. I remembered that movie WAY better than it actually is and it was actually a little disappointing. Sometimes things are better left just a memory.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: