Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cubs, Cars And Kidders

Wednesday June 1st, 2011 - Chicago, IL/Waukegan, IL

   In an unexpected pleasant surprise, I was asked to join a friend in going to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field today as a ‘mystery shopper’. I didn’t know Major League Baseball used mystery shoppers, but I got to tag along so I’m not complaining. I won’t divulge anything about the mystery person I went with, only because I’m not sure what the exact rules are.

   Actually, I think it’s very smart of the Cubs to hire people to do this. Any sports team is a business, and fans are customers. They have choices, and in this day and age I’d have to bet nobody can afford to lose customers - not even sports teams. It’s a sign of the times.

   I took the train into the city, and it brought back fun memories of doing Jerry’s Kidders on WLS back when we did. That was a few years ago now, and I highly doubt that people remember it but we all sure do. That was probably THE most fun I’ve ever had on radio.

   We were on a big station every week and it was a blast to be on the air busting the balls of the other comedians, and then going out to lunch afterward and doing it more. It was as fun as it gets, and Tim Slale and Ken Severa and I would love to be able to do it again on the air, but where? Jerry Agar is now in Toronto making a living, and we’re all still here.

   Unfortunately, I think Jerry’s Kidders is just a memory at this point, but a very pleasant one for all of us who were part of it. Too bad life moves on, and always does. How many people used to be on radio or RV or in movies at one time, but now take a train into a big city once in a while to watch a baseball game and not one single person recognizes them?

   I didn’t expect to be recognized, but I did expect to be entertained. Wow, the Cubs are a disaster this year. There was NO fire from that team, and they ended up losing to the low rent Houston Astros of all people. Nice park or not, that team has to make some changes.

   I really thought about my own life as I watched the game today. The Cubs need to have a major reinvention and have new life breathed into that whole organization. They have a new owner, but that hasn’t been enough. They’re in trouble if they don’t shake things up a little, but what can they do? They have a lot of pre-existing situations they’ll need to fix.

   I feel like I’m the same way. I’ve got all these things rolling around in my head, but my life is a mess right now and not really going anywhere with a vengeance or purpose. I am extremely dissatisfied with that, and desperately want to change my energy immediately.

   I got home from the game in time to peruse the Waukegan Auto Auction and ended up buying a 1998 Ford Contour of all things. It’s extremely clean, but appears to overheat in traffic. It came with a seller’s guarantee which gives me a day to have it checked out first.

   I love the Cadillac, but it’s big and blue and stodgy - much like the Cubs. If I keep using that, I’ll eventually go broke putting gas in it. I’ve gotten months of trouble free miles out of it, and my spider sense tells me it’s time to get a different car. I hope I chose correctly.     

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: