Monday, June 6, 2011

An Imperfect World

Sunday June 5th, 2011 - Kenosha, WI

   Even though it was fun hanging out with friendly people this weekend doing shows and all that, deep down I know it’s not even close to what I envision myself doing in a perfect world. I’d be doing many of the same things I’m doing now, but on a much higher scale.

  My question is, does ANYONE living on this planet have that ’perfect world’ scenario? If so, how many? And more so, if someone happens to attain it does that person know it? I don’t think it’s money and fame alone that makes for a contented soul, but it does help.

  Is Donald Trump happy? I have no way of determining that. How about WWE’s Vince McMahon? They’re both rich, but are they satisfied in life? Probably not, as that drive is what keeps them pushing forward. At some point, shouldn’t there be time to enjoy it all?

  We humans are very delicate critters, and if one little thing goes wrong it can affect our entire lives in a most devastating way. I’m not asking for or expecting a problem free life, I just want one I can be proud of and have quality time to enjoy as I slide into old age.

   I bet most people don’t even take time to picture what their ultimate life would be. I ask all the time on stage if people are picturing exactly what they’d do with the lottery prize if they won it, and an overwhelming percentage stare at me like I’m speaking in Portuguese.

   I do jokes about what I’d do if I won the lottery, but I’d love to play that concept further and focus on it in real life. Would I have money? Yes, but I’d hope I wouldn’t be a greedy bastard and let that be my obsession. I’m old enough now where not all that big of a hunk would keep me going strong the rest of my life. I want to be free to chase creative goals.

     I want to be working the top comedy rooms for packed audiences with people who are there to see me, not just some random goof they never heard of. I want to make top dollar so I can be secure enough to have enough, but also be able to give to those who need it.

   I still want to have a family and a home that is healthy and functioning and full of love. I want to create things that have never been created before, and surround myself with a lot of other creative types to form a world class group of people who get along and have fun.

   Fun should be one of the top reasons to get out of bed every morning, along with being able to give to others. Life is about fun and giving, not worrying and lack. I haven’t been in the mindset I’ve needed to be in lately, as I’ve been having to focus on making a living. How can I be the King of Uranus doing creative projects when I’m struggling with bills?

   The Mothership Connection radio show is another thing that needs direction. We really do have fun doing it, but there needs to be more structure and more effort put in to getting ways to make the project financially successful. Tonight’s show wasn’t a killer, but it was still fun. With just a little more effort, I think my whole life can be what I’ve pictured it to be for so many years. Why am I not spending all my energy trying to be the best there is?

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: