Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Circle Of C. Cardell

Monday August 3rd, 2009 - Chicago, IL

I’ve often spoken fondly of my main mentor in comedy C. Cardell Willis and I’m about to do it again. He made a huge impact on not only my learning the comedy ropes but also about life in general. He was a father figure to all of us who started comedy in Milwaukee in the ‘80s and if it weren’t for him I never would have been able to live my life’s dream.

He was very nurturing and always encouraged us even when most of us weren’t all that funny. I sure know that I was horrible back then but he saw a spark and took me under his wing almost immediately. He would take time after shows to offer a well placed word of advice that not only made us better comedians but also let us know someone cared for us.

Comedians are a needy bunch. Most of us have been whipped and beaten all of our life and part of that is the reason we need to be on stage and get that approval from strangers. Cardell took a rag tag bunch of dented cans and helped shape us into real live comedians.

He never got the recognition he deserved and unfortunately probably never will. If I had one comedy wish it would be to find a recording of Cardell to release as a CD. I doubt if a recording exists because nobody thought to do it back then. We did shows and that was it. Only the audience and the comedians who worked with him remember how great he was.

I’ll never forget Cardell. Yes, he was very funny but more important than that his giving spirit lives on in me and hopefully has spread to the young comics I’ve tried to help along the way. Every time I can spread some kindness I always do but I never take credit for it. I know it came from C. Cardell Willis and I’m sure he got it from someone else in his life.

He always talked about ‘paying it forward’ and that’s what I try to do even now. I was a raw young punk with no idea of what comedy or life was all about and he mentored me to the point where now I’m assuming his role and have been able to be a mentor to others.

Today was the day Cardell always celebrated as his birthday and I wanted to pay tribute to him. His real birthday was in April but for some reason he always celebrated it August 3rd. Whatever the reason for it was doesn’t matter, I just want to celebrate his memory.

I hosted the Zanies Rising Star Showcase tonight and it was a killer show. The audience was red hot and the lineup of comedians was stellar and it was one of the best ones we’ve had in a long time. Everyone was on their game and it was total fun from start to finish.

Cardell would have been proud of me because I was the crafty veteran host that he was back when I started. I learned all his tricks and kept the show moving. I had lots of people say “Wow, you really are a fantastic host.” I thanked them all but I’m not the reason for it.

At the end of the show I mentioned it would have been Cardell’s birthday and asked that the audience give a round of applause in his honor. He earned it. It was a hot crowd and it was a perfect way to pay tribute to my mentor. Thanks Cardell, your effort wasn’t wasted.

No comments: