Saturday, August 1, 2009

Rockford Files

Friday July 31st, 2009 - Rockford, IL

No matter what goes wrong in life it’s always nice to be wanted by someone. I received an email from “Stone and Double T” at WXRX in Rockford, IL inviting me to be on their afternoon show in honor of my TV appearance last week. They were out on vacation last week but invited me to come in and hang out for the whole four hours with them today.

They’re very loose and I mean it in a good way. They have all kinds of guests and it’s a wide mix of interesting people. Last time I was on it was a six year old piano virtuoso that blew everyone away named Emily Bear. She had nothing to do with the station format but she was fantastic and totally belonged on the radio. I like the idea those guys will do that.

If they were in a bigger market maybe they couldn’t do what they do but they’re doing it in Rockford. Any time they ask me to be on with them I always show up. They also allow me to have walk on status. Any time I’m anywhere near town and want to pop in I can do it. The D-List on ESPN 540 in Milwaukee allows me to do the same. I love that freedom.

The only downside is that I have no idea if anyone who might enjoy my comedy style is listening to that station. It’s very hard rock and I must admit I’m not a fan of most of their music. Jim Stone is the program director and he’s around my age so maybe I’m just plain old and shriveled up when it comes to my appreciation of newer rock but I can’t stand it.

I do love being on their show though. They are fun and funny and they let me go off on a tangent if I want and they give plenty of time to talk and have fun but they still squeeze in music too. I hope they have great ratings because I think their show belongs on the air.
It’s what local radio should be all about. They talk about what’s going on in Rockford.

Rockford has never been a comedy hot bed and I can’t figure out why. It’s a blue collar town and there have been various one night gigs there over the years but it’s never had a full time club that really rocks. Madison, WI isn’t far away and they’ve had a few comedy clubs over the years that have done quite well. Rockford has been and is sorely lacking.

I asked Stone and Double T why there hasn’t been a full time club there and they had no clue. They seemed to think it would have to be the right venue and I agree but that’s not a mystery. Any town has to have a club in the right venue to succeed and then it has to be a well run business on top of that. Still, I think there’s room for someone to succeed at it.

I really don’t want to run a comedy club but if I had to I think I could pull it off. I’m not fond of dealing with drunks so that would put a damper on it because I don’t see any way around it. A non alcoholic club would be death. Hooch is what pays the bills but there’s a liquor license to worry about and also insurance and all kinds of other unseen problems.

All I want to do is go on stage, kick major ass for an hour and then go back to my hotel. If I could do that night after night after night I would be ecstatic. I love to work and in my world that would be as close to a perfect life as I can imagine. Maybe I can still get there.

No comments: