Monday, August 17, 2009

Sports Cards And Tarot Cards

Sunday August 16th, 2009 - West Allis, WI/Kenosha, WI

I wanted to get as far away from anything comedy related today so that’s just what I did. Luckily today was the date of the once a month sports card show at Gonzaga Hall in West Allis, WI. If there was ever a day I could use a little escape for a few hours, today was it.

My friends Richard and Dennis had tables set up so I sat with them and hung out. I love to look at old cards and both of those guys have some killer inventory. The best feature of Gonzaga is that usually nobody talks about anything but cards. It’s great. I don’t see most of these people anywhere else and when we do interact it’s about the hobby exclusively.

Today was different. Several of the regulars I know by face but seldom if ever speak to more than nod hello came up and either congratulated me on my TV appearance or asked what it was like. A few even tried to tell me jokes but I was polite and listened all the way through and pretended like I didn’t know the punch line. I appreciated the fact they tried.

I didn’t mention I was going to be on to anyone but word somehow got out and people I really don’t know all that well shook my hand and were genuinely impressed. How great does that feel? Many said they’ve heard me on The D-List on ESPN 540 and quoted lines I’d said on the air. I was really flattered to get the royal treatment when I didn’t expect it.

We were also still in our groove from last week on The Mothership Connection show in Kenosha tonight on AM 1050 WLIP. Scott Markus was able to hang around for one more week and he packed the first hour with guests. Then we had Jonna The Happy Medium in studio for the rest of the show along with one of my comedy students named Grey Dolan.

I met Jonna a few years ago in Rockford when we both were on the Stone and Double T radio show. We’ve stayed in touch and she’s been a phone guest several times but coming on live is always better. You can peruse her website at www.jonnathehappymedium.com.

Grey Dolan fit as well. She reads tarot cards and together her and Jonna were right on it when callers called. We had quite a few new callers and that means people are listening to us. I can feel a chemistry building between all of us and tonight was another fun program.

I needed to have some fun today and both events didn’t disappoint. I was really tired as I got home but I signed on to check emails and saw that I received one from Miss Roberts my ex librarian friend. She commented that she too had felt the middle act this week was vulgar and disgusting and that really made me feel embarrassed. This thing just won’t die.

What it boils down to is acting in a professional manor. There can be a time and a place for humor ranging from racy to spicy to raunchy to even filthy but it has to be in a setting where people know what they’re getting. Then they can’t complain. They were warned.

This is a big reason why corporate gigs are so difficult to get. People fear the show will be dirty and after this week I can see why. From now on I will pay more attention to this.

No comments: