Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Baby's First Steps

Monday October 4th, 2010 - Lake Villa, IL

   I’m running all over the place day and night between Milwaukee and Chicago and every place in between - and I’m loving every single minute of it. I’m in a great space right now and I’m claiming it. Too many times in life I’ve been wandering aimlessly, but not now.

   This ‘Schlitz Happened!’ show has been the best thing I’ve done in many years. I’ve hit a nerve, even though it’s not all that original. It doesn’t have to be. It just has to be in the public’s wheel house and for once I think I’ve finally found that. It’s taken long enough.

   Ray Kroc was in his fifties and stumbled upon McDonald’s because he sold Mixmaster milkshake machines to the McDonald brothers. He saw an opportunity and went all out to chase it. That’s what I’m doing with this, and I can feel it being worth every bit of effort.

   I’ve got a TV taping on Wednesday in Milwaukee at a place called Sherman Perks. It’s a remodeled gas station from what I hear, located at 4924 West Roosevelt Blvd. It’s going to be taped for the Channel 10 Auction, and hopefully raise funds for Public Television.

   The producer of the show is a nice lady named Susan Borri, and she asked that I be the one to round up an audience of about 40 people. That’s not an easy task, especially on a Wednesday night. Yes, it’s free - but explaining what it is to people can be a bit difficult.

   It’s not a traditional venue, especially for a product like this so I have to explain myself very clearly to everyone I tell - which was everyone I could find on my list who’s lived in Milwaukee even a short time. I called some, emailed others, face booked still others, and it took a lot of work. I loved every minute of it because I knew I was working for myself.

   Most people were very kind to forward the message to some other people in town who they thought may enjoy the show. I totally appreciate that and won’t abuse the privilege. I will give those who come out my best, and hopefully have them on a list for shows in the future. That and word of mouth will be my best forms of marketing this to build a base.

   The bulk of the work is done, and I have had nibbles from people who say they’re going to show up. I believe most if not all of them will. I don’t ask for many favors, and this is a fun one. Sit and enjoy a free show isn’t that difficult, and it’s a good test to see if I can get people to come out to an event no matter what the cost. This is all a test run for the future.

   Saturday night in Saukville at the Railroad Station will be another test. It’s not nearly as nice as a venue as The Schauer Center in Hartford, nor as organized as far as having a list of subscribers to contact letting them know of the show. Again, that’s another good thing as it tests the ability to draw people into a venue not usually known for live entertainment.

   The project has already been a raging success in that it came to life from a single idea to packing the Schauer Center last week. It got me on TV, radio and I think it’s only starting to take shape. These are my creative baby’s first steps, and I couldn’t be any more proud.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: