Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chicago's Top Spot

Tuesday October 12th, 2010 - Chicago, IL

   In the world of standup comedy in Chicago, I have achieved what most others dream of. The pinnacle. I’ve headlined the downtown Zanies. Actually, it’s located in Old Town on Wells Street, but everyone refers to it as the downtown location. That’s the place to be.

   That’s where all the greats have played, from Jay Leno to Jerry Seinfeld to Sam Kinison to Richard Lewis to so many more. That’s where every comedian working Chicago wants to be, and whenever anyone from Chicago goes on the road the first thing they’re asked is “Do you work Zanies?” Unfortunately, like anywhere else it becomes a numbers game.

   There are only 52 weeks in any given year. There are a lot more than 52 comedians who are capable of doing the job, so it becomes a matter of many other things including timing and luck and being in the right place at the right time. I’ve been exactly that and I’ve been able to get hired headlining all the Zanies locations in Chicago for years. I’m very lucky.

   Am I grateful for that opportunity? Without a doubt. It’s an honor and I know others are jealous, but that goes with the territory. It adds credibility to my Chicago area profile, but that’s about it. Anywhere else I’m just another schmuck in a long line of many. It’s not an automatic door opener like so many people think it will be. We all have to earn our spots.

   This is a good lesson for everyone coming up the ranks. I remember when I was coming up in Milwaukee, there were two clubs - The Funny Bone and The Comedy Café. I was a Funny Bone guy, and they eventually closed. All of us were out of luck because the Café’ had their favorites, and none of us were it. Their guys got the prime spots, we got nothing.

   That’s kind of how it is at Zanies too, so I’ve been on both sides of the scenario. I have to admit, it’s WAY better to be on the ‘favorites’ list than the outsiders, but after all these years looking back none of it really matters. If a comic is going to develop, he or she will find a place to get stage time. Sooner or later, there will be a place that gives stage time.

   Sometimes it requires moving out of town. I’ve moved around a lot doing radio but did not stop doing comedy. Ever. No matter where I was, I found a place to keep working on my craft, and I’m really glad I did. I never let it atrophy, and all these years later I’m still getting better. My off stage development has been choppy, but on stage I’m still working.

   I’m headlining downtown Zanies for two nights this week because there was an opening and Bert Haas plugged me in. I appreciate it, and even though I was just here yesterday as host of the Rising Star Showcase it feels good to be closing the show. I know every comic in Chicago would leap at the chance, so I never take it for granted. It really is a privilege.

   Despite all that, the crowd tonight wasn’t that great. They were loud and wouldn’t shut up the whole show. The other comics had a hard time with them so I knew what I was in for before I got on. Tuesdays and weekdays in general can be like that, even at a club like Zanies where everyone imagines it to be perfect all the time. Welcome to the real world.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: