Friday, October 15, 2010

Back On The Boats

Friday October 15th, 2010 - Lake Villa, IL

   Here we go again, out to sea on cruise ships for a few months. Today was my last day to savor the land for a while, and that’s what I did. I rested up and tried to prepare myself for everything that goes with life at sea including lost luggage. I hope that doesn’t happen but if it does at least I’ll know how to handle it. Last time it rocked my world to the very core.

   This time I’m much better prepared. I bought a smaller piece of luggage and won’t have  to take the risk of checking my bag. It’s going to be harder to squeeze everything into that small of a space, but if others do it I guess I’ll have to follow suit. I’m learning sea rules.

   I’ll be flying to New Orleans and have no idea where the ship is going other than I come back via Nassau in the Bahamas. I have no clue who the other comedian is, when my time to perform is or how the audiences are on this particular ship. I’ll find out soon enough.

   This is going to be a tough stretch, and I know that going in. I’ll be out during all of the holidays, and I’ve never done that before. Usually I just lay low and don’t talk to anybody because I don’t want to bring anyone else down. This year I’ll have to pretend I’m cheery, or at least come out of my shell for the shows. I‘m sure I won‘t be the only dented can.

   I really intend to focus on self improvement these next few months. I have a spectacular opportunity to really lay some great groundwork for the rest of my life and I want to really lean into it and take full advantage of it. I can eat healthy at someone else’s expense, have a place to work out and lots of time to accomplish it. If I don’t get this done it’s my fault.

   Last time I was learning the ropes, but even then I still managed to get some work done on several projects. This time I’ll know how to do it even better, and that will involve the making of a daily schedule and sticking to it. Just getting up whenever I do and winging it won’t due. That led to a lot of wasted time that I could have used to get a lot more done.

   One thing I did do was FINALLY clear out my huge rotting pile of festering emails that have been clogging my in box for months. I’ve been meaning to get to them all, and today I finished up the last of them for both of my primary email accounts. I was up around 800 at my worst, but now I’m down to zero on one address and under 10 on the other. Whew.

   That’s been a long time coming, but again - nobody really cares but me. I suppose many of the people I answered may have been able to use something I sent them, but other than that it was only for me. It did give me a huge feeling of accomplishment though and I feel like I’m preparing myself for new and exciting adventures. In my book it was all worth it.

   I also had a dinner date with a woman I’ve known for a while and enjoyed both the food and the company. She’s single at the moment, and was looking especially good tonight so who knows where it will lead? She knows I have my time on the ships so a million things could happen between now and when I get back. For a night, it was fun. Now my brain is getting ready to tackle the challenges that go with the ship gigs. Ahoy matey, here goes.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: