Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sunday Suckage

Sunday October 10, 2010 - Milwaukee, WI/Chicago, IL/Kenosha, WI

   Today had all the makings of a spectacular day, then everything caved in and now it’s a big ugly nightmare. I woke up to perfect weather, and that usually puts me in a wonderful mood. Today it was just a disguise. This day was bound and determined to be a stinker.

   My friend Richard Caan invited me up to Milwaukee to watch the Packer game and that sounded like fun. I’ve not had a chance to relax and watch an entire game this season and I was looking very forward to it. Richard is also helping me liquidate my sports cards and had a couple hundred dollars from sporadic sales. That’s what made the drive worth it.

   The Packers ended up losing a heartbreaker, and we both saw it coming. I don’t know if it was from our childhood years of watching them get pummeled every week, but we both just knew it wasn’t going to end well, and it didn’t. Mason Crosby’s last second field goal attempt hit the crossbar, and Richard and I both started laughing. Welcome to childhood.

   I had to leave to make it to downtown Chicago to be on WGN radio with Jerry Agar for an hour. We were set to do a Jerry’s Kidders segment, and I left with what I thought was a very nice cushion of time. WRONG. There was nothing but construction and accidents to dodge, and I got marooned in the mix and ended up not getting there until a half hour late.

   That feeling of intense stress with no way to stop it is pure hell. No matter what I did, it didn’t matter. I wasn’t going to get through traffic any faster, and no matter how angry or upset I’d get that wouldn’t change. I tried to just be calm and let it go, but that’s not easy, especially in Chicago traffic. I did end up getting there halfway through, but it wasn’t fun.

   I didn’t feel very funny at all, even though I could see I was making the spectators laugh on Michigan Avenue. The WGN studios are right on the street and the public can gawk at us like monkeys at a zoo. There was a large crowd today, and I could see them laughing.

   Normally, we go out for a meal after the Kidders and relax. I only had a few minutes for hanging, and then I had to leave for WLIP in Kenosha for The Mothership Connection at 8pm. Traffic was a lot less congested, but I noticed my temperature needle was on high.

   I had no time to stop, even though I knew there was a possibility of blowing the engine by keeping it running. I had to risk it, as there was nobody else to run the show. If the car blew up, there was a chance I could catch a ride from one of the co-hosts or end up taking a cab. I kept on driving, and watched the needle bob up and down with zero regularity.

   I’ve never seen anything like it. That thing bounced all over the place from up in the hot zone to down on ’C’ and everywhere in between. I don’t think it was just the needle and it will probably be expensive to fix. This is the last thing I need before heading back to sea.

   I dropped the car off at a radiator place in Waukegan, and my friend Shelley was nice to drop me off at home. At least the car situation helped me forget about all the Packer pain.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: