Friday, October 1, 2010

Greg Giraldo RIP

Wednesday September 29th, 2010 - Lake Villa, IL

  Word trickled in from several sources that Greg Giraldo died. For whatever reason, I get all kinds of people who ask me all kinds of questions about things like this, when in fact I couldn’t know any less. If I were a prankster I’d just make things up, but in reality I don’t have a clue as to why any of this took place. At this time they’re saying it was via drugs.

   People give me way more credit than I deserve, thinking I know the drug, sex and booze habits of every famous comedian in America. Sorry, not my field of expertise. I don’t see why the average person is so concerned about things like this, but they always are. I have a lot of friends who aren’t in the business, and they’re the ones that grill me constantly.

  The truth is, I don’t remember if I ever met Greg Giraldo or not. I’ve been to New York a few times, and he’s worked Zanies in Chicago a few times. I may have crossed paths on accident once or twice, but it would have been nothing more than a handshake and hello.

   From what I’ve heard, he was a very nice guy and had a strong following with his solid ability to kill at roasts. I never watch Comedy Central so I’ve never seen his work, but the consensus from everyone I’ve talked to is he was a laid back nice guy and I’d believe that.

   The few comics that are true weenies have reputations that proceed them. I’ve found the majority of comedians to be at least cordial off stage, at least that’s my experience. It’s no guarantee that just because someone gets laughs for a living he or she is a friendly person.

   One would think it would go hand in hand, but it’s not necessarily true. Many comics are rather shy and off put when they’re not on stage. I know I am. After a show, I usually like to be by myself or with a small number of friends, usually other comedians. I’m done working, so why do I still need to be ‘on’? I have no idea, but some guys can’t grasp that.

   People also think it’s odd that comedians don’t sit around watching Comedy Central all day and night. Maybe some do, but most of the ones I know never do. The Daily Show is a very well done product in my opinion and Jon Stewart is a talented host as are everyone else associated with it from Steven Colbert on down. I just don’t need to watch comedy.

   I probably should be keeping up with what’s hot and what everyone else is doing, but it quite frankly bores the hell out of me. I enjoy putting my own comedy together or being a teacher and mentor to others, but watching comedians of all levels perform doesn’t cut it.

   I’ll always watch the masters, but this is not that level. There’s a lot of hit and miss and to me, the misses aren’t worth sitting through to discover the hits. I’d rather be polishing up a bit for my own act, or doing something completely different from comedy to rest up.

   Greg Giraldo’s career has ended. As a fellow comic, I feel bad for the guy. He seems to be one of the few who found a niche, and now it’s over. It’s even sadder that it took death to turn people on to him. He’ll get more web hits and exposure than ever. That’s a shame.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: