Sunday, January 9, 2011

Classic Cars And Cowboys

Saturday January 8th, 2010 - Fox Lake, IL

   Another day to just hang out and relax. I need a few days off to recharge my batteries to make a run at everything I’ve got going. Normally, I would have tried to book something for this weekend to have something to do. It would have been off the plane and right back into the car to drive to a gig somewhere, but after a lifetime of doing that I’ve had my fill.

   If it was a big show in a big venue for big money, I might consider it. Maybe even those get old after a while. Today is Elvis’s birthday. I wonder if he ever got sick of it all on his level? He flew to gigs that were in sold out arenas, but he got to fly home the same night and sleep in his own bed. Maybe that made it different, but I’d think the road is the road.

  Personally, I’m sick of it. At least for now. The ships are extra difficult because I have a lot more deadlines to hit with flights and consequences should I miss even one. In clubs, I drive there and that can be a challenge enough. Having to catch planes and boats is worse.

   It’s a grind, and there’s no other way to put it. Right now, having a gig where I could be home every day would be very desirable. That’s why I like the ‘Schlitz Happened!’ idea so much. If I do it right, I can have at least one weekend a month that’s an hour from my house where I can make a decent living and not have to be molested by airport security.

   It’s funny, as the exact opposite feeling was what drove me to leave Milwaukee back at the start of all this. I wanted to be on the road and see as many places as I could. I did, but now I have the exact opposite desire. I want to earn a living as close to home as possible.

   I turned that part of my brain off today and went to see ‘True Grit’. I’ve heard all kinds of positive reviews, and I’ve always been a big fan of Jeff Bridges. Any movie he’s in I’ll risk a ticket, and I can’t remember being disappointed very often. The guy has a charisma.

   I thought there were a few holes in the plot, but I really liked the characters in the film. I also like the Coen Brothers, and didn’t know they directed it. I probably should have, but my knowledge of pop culture and show biz is severely lacking these days. I just wanted to be entertained by a movie, and I totally was. All the characters fit in well with each other.

  Now I want to see the original with John Wayne. I know I saw it years ago, but I have no idea when or where. I’d probably enjoy it all over again. I’ve been so busy in my own life trying to chase whatever it is I’ve been chasing, I’ve neglected watching a lot of classics.

  Speaking of classics, I also went to the Volo Auto Museum in Volo, IL. I live as close as I ever have, and I’ve been wanting to go for a while now. It’s a museum, but also has cars for sale. There’s an original George Barris Batmobile, and to me that’s worth a trip alone.

   All I did was hang out and enjoy life. I loved the movie, and then went to look at all the classic cars I used to want to own, but now am fine with just looking at in a museum. I’m getting simpler as I get older, and I think it’s good. I’ll stay low maintenance, it’s easier.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: