Saturday, January 1, 2011

No Resolutions

Friday December 31st, 2010 - Somewhere At Sea

   Another year in the books. I can’t believe it’s 2011 already. Or is it? The Chinese are on their own schedule, and their year is 4708. The Jewish year is 5771. Who knows what the real story is? I suppose one could start counting years any time but it doesn’t matter in the long run. The universe has been in business a lot longer than we Earth mopes can fathom.

   I wonder what year it really is in the big scheme of things? There are all kinds of planets in all kinds of solar systems in all kinds of galaxies in the mighty expanse of the universe, and we’re all just pimples on the posterior of anything close to being halfway important.

   I gave up trying to figure it out, much less waste my time with New Year’s resolutions. I make resolutions all the time, and then I break some of them and start all over again all year long. Doing it on a specific day sounds great in theory, but it never works for long.

   Still, it’s kind of neat to see the year change. It’s like the odometer on a car changing to a round number. It doesn’t really mean anything, but it’s kind of fun to see because of the scarcity of it. A year takes, well, a year to go by, and we all have a very limited number.

   This past one has been very good for me. Last year at this time I was in Eau Claire, WI doing a fun gig at a hotel. It was bitter cold and I remember wondering seriously if my car was going to start the next morning. It did, but I started the year off with no set direction.

   I had no idea I’d be doing cruise ships, and even though it’s been a difficult adjustment, I’m still light years ahead financially than I was just one year ago. It’s bailed me out and it also made me a much better comedian. I can feel a positive momentum build, and even if the ships don’t last until next year I’ll be able to transition into the next project smoothly.

   The shows tonight were a lot better than I expected. The early show had a minor glitch, but I dealt with it. There were three kids right up front and they talked through the whole show. The parents were sitting a couple of rows behind, and didn’t seem to think it was a big deal. It became a major distraction, but all I could do was stay on stage for my time.

   These kinds of things happen on the ships, and even though I don’t like it I’m starting to deal with it better. I’m not going to flip out, even though it’s rude as hell. I’m not paid for babysitting, but it seems to come with the territory once in a while. Tonight it did, but I’ll cause a lot less waves if I shut up and take it rather than call the parents out from stage.

   Eventually, they petered out and I was able to finish the show on a high note and get off with some dignity left. Nobody in that audience knew how difficult it really was to keep it going, but that’s not their job. I did mine, and that’s all that matters. I’m learning. Slowly.

   The second show was rocking from start to finish. It was a full house and they weren’t a typical drunk, stupid New Year’s Eve amateur night crowd. They were a great audience to play for, and wanted to see a show. This was a fun night, but I’m making no resolutions.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: