Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Year Of Milwaukee

Saturday January 1st, 2011 - Somewhere At Sea

   Is it possible to ever be satisfied in this life? It seems to be human nature to always want more no matter how much we may already have, but that want is also what made us strive to achieve or attain anything in the first place. If it runs out, does life have any spice left?

   There are countless examples of people who have had what the majority of others in the world would consider major success, and yet they died either miserable, broke or not able to fully enjoy the status they’d been granted by their circumstances. I find that quite cruel.

   Elvis comes to mind immediately, as does Michael Jackson. Those were two of the very biggest single stars ever, but they were both screwed up to the point of being ridiculously out of touch with reality right to the point of their deaths. Their money didn’t prevent it.

   Marilyn Monroe is another. She had seemingly everything, but died in circumstances of questionable origin at age 36. Countless millions saw all three of those people as icons of their generation, but all three of them died young and never got to live out a full lifespan.

   There is no shortage of examples to cite either. John Belushi comes to mind. He was 33 and on top of the world, or so it seemed. Richard Jeni is another. That’s someone I had an opportunity to meet in person, and by all accounts he had what most comedians dream of.

   Still, he ended up taking his own life and most onlookers including myself wonder how a guy with all that going for him could be so unhappy. But, I’ve been to that point myself. I’ve struggled with depression for years, and I’ve been to the point of ending it all myself.

   In my mind, I didn’t get what I thought I wanted. In other people’s minds, I was and am doing great. I get all kinds of people telling me they wish they were me, but I don’t see it. In many ways I’m a complete bust out, and very unfulfilled. I guess it’s in who views it.

   All that being said, I think all of us need to chase what’s important to us as individuals. I can’t speak for anyone else but me though, so I’ll focus on what I think is worth chasing. Nobody else is me, and nobody knows what pleases me but me. It‘s up to me to go get it.

   As this year starts, in my heart I know the ‘Schlitz Happened!’ one man show should be given the prime spot of things to accomplish. It’s a fun show about my home town, and of all the things I’m doing I think I can make come to life the fastest. My gut says it’s a hit.

   It already has gotten more notice in Milwaukee in six months than my standup has in a lifetime. The shows I’ve done have not only been well received, but I can see a future for years to come in polishing a product for a niche market. It’s something I can build upon.

   Plus, Milwaukee is always going to be part of my DNA. It’s my home town and as long as I’m on this cosmic plane I’ll think Cudahy is funny and bratwurst tastes good. Why not market that part of me and share it with others who get it? 2011 is the year of Milwaukee.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: