Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Pursuing Happiness

Wednesday January 5th, 2011 - Roatan, Honduras

   What am I, insane? My last day in a sunny paradise, and I don’t get out there and enjoy it. I’m sure I’ll regret it later this week, but I got on a roll with projects and that felt better to me than a sun soaked walk on the beach. Millions of Midwesterners would kill to trade places, but I stayed on board all day and lost myself completely having fun with my work.

   I do love the sunshine, but I’ve had a lot of it on this run and my mind is hankering for a taste of home cooking. If that includes some snow and ice for a few weeks, I can adjust. It won’t kill me to face winter conditions, especially since I know I’ve got more bookings in the sun coming up in two weeks and again at the end of February. The time will go fast.

   Right now, all I’m thinking about is getting back to Chicago and Milwaukee and start to put in motion everything I’ve been planning out at sea. I have a ‘Schlitz Happened!’ show Friday January 28th at the South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center, and it’s going to be a challenge to put butts in the seats. I have to do some promotional work, but I don’t mind.

   The on stage part of the show is coming along, because I can work on it on the ship. It’s different with the promotional stuff because I have to be there to do it in person. I hope to get some media coverage, and I’m sure I’ll buy some ads too. Phil Cianciola has given me some mentions on his pod cast, and I told him I’d buy some ads. I‘ll gladly live up to that

   I have to admit, life and all that goes with it is a whole lot less stressful and dare I even say fun when there‘s a little bit of money in the bank. I don’t have a lot compared to some people, but I do have a little extra right now and it frees up my mind to take some chances I couldn’t take before. It also allows me more free time to spend working on my projects.

   I’m as happy as I’ve been in a long time, just thinking about the prospect of taking some time to do what I want to do rather than have to accept low paying stress filled hell gigs to pay my bills every month. That’s a waste of everyone’s time, and my attitude is preserved to focus on more big picture long term creative projects. I’m in a creatively positive place.

   That’s all I’ve ever wanted. Every day job I’ve ever had to take in my life has only been a temporary detour to get me to the place I am now. I always knew where I wanted to end up, I just never knew the best way to get there. If I can have freedom to create, I’ll be fine. For this next year, I’ve got enough money to survive and a backlog of ideas to develop.

   I’ve always had to fight with people my whole life creatively, and I’m sick of it. I enjoy having the freedom to do things my own way, and far more often than not when I’ve had the chance to be in control it’s worked out smashingly well. Plus, it’s a fun experience to be in charge and call the shots so why not get back there again and see what can develop?

   I’m beyond excited to be going home tomorrow, and even more thrilled to have a show to promote at the end of the month. Whatever happens, it will be a building block for the future and a significant step forward. It’s also a risk, but at least I can afford to chance it.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: