Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Reluctant Sailor

Tuesday January 18th, 2011 - Chicago, IL/Fox Lake, IL

   It’s getting to be that time to head back out to sea for the cruise ship life, and I can’t say I’m looking forward to it. The money is nice, but that’s about it. Not even the weather is a deal maker. It’ll be sunny and warm I’m sure, and I’ll enjoy it, but if I had my druthers I’d stay here and keep working on everything. I can’t believe I’m saying that, but it’s a fact.

   It would be stupid to pass up the money right now, so I’ll do it and not complain. It’s an opportunity that’s here at the right time, whether I want to do it or not. I’ll use that money to do productive things like pay for ‘Schlitz Happened!’ t-shirts and a website. I met with a web designer to get that ball rolling, and I’m happy with the mock up site he’s created.

   I want to do this right. I’ve got a Facebook page with almost 1000 friends and a website is key. I want to build a mailing list with a newsletter and sell products from the site. I’ve got a lot of ideas rolling around in my brain and can see a clear vision as to what I want.

   I suppose I can keep doing that on the ship, but it’s a lot more convenient being here in the back yard to get it all going. It’s exciting to me to be in charge of all this and see how it continues to grow from just an idea. I know it’s crazy, but that gives me a bigger thrill than being in the sunny Caribbean in January. I admit, not many would share my feeings.

   Higher paying land shows are starting to trickle in as well. I’m getting inquiries from a lot of people who have been referred by bookers I’ve worked for in the past, and I’m very grateful for that. The first quarter of the year is packed with gigs, and that’s always good.

   The smart thing to do is keep doing what I’m doing, and create teams of people to keep me organized. I’m testing all kinds of people I haven’t worked with before, but I think are right for the job. My web person is one, and today I had lunch with Julie Pasley who I’ve known for years from Zanies in Vernon Hills, IL. She knows the business and can help.

   I’m testing out vibes of synergy with these people, and looking for productive matches. I know some won’t work, but a lot more will. I don’t have any idea what I can guarantee these people, but I tell them that up front. I’m just seeing who’s interested in working on these kinds of things. I’m looking to find people’s strengths and match them with mine.

   I find it all great fun, and I genuinely like the people I’m choosing. Tonight I had dinner with Bill Gorgo, the guy who’s helped keep comedy classes going at Zanies in Chicago as I’ve been gone on the ships. He’s got a nice full class going, and that’s great. He’s doing a fantastic job with it, but the real money will be either online or doing one day seminars.

   Between comedy classes, the ships and ‘Schlitz Happened!’, I’ve got my hands full for the year. It’ll save me from having to work the hell holes for bad money, but I want to be smart with what I do with that extra time. Hours get sucked away easily, and they’re a lot more precious as I get older. Time is not on my side anymore, and I know it. I’ll give the audiences on the ship my very best shows, but my heart will be back home in Milwaukee.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: