Saturday, January 8, 2011

Weeding Out The Weenies

Friday January 7th, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL

   I guess I was plum tuckered out after all. I woke up at 1:45pm, but felt totally refreshed. I don’t really have ‘my own bed’ to sleep in now that I’ve moved, but it felt great anyway. I’m still nowhere near settled in, and my stuff is either in piles, boxes or in a storage bin.

  I’m basically starting my life over again, something I’ve done countless times before. In a perfect world, I’d have a wife and kids and house that’s paid for, and residual checks for projects I did years ago that are still paying off with royalties today. I’d be getting ready to be a grandfather soon, and start thinking of retirement with pleasant anticipation. Right.

  Instead, I’m still living like a spider in a basement a quarter century into my pursuit of a very difficult dream. I’m partially here because I choose to be, but part of that comes from a fear of making a commitment to a lease or a woman or anything else that involves trust.

   Things could be a lot worse, but they could be a lot better too. I’m right on the precipice of something new and different, and I want to make sure I really nail it this time and have a chance to salvage a winning life. Happy endings aren’t guaranteed, but if I’m the one in charge that’s writing the script - this life is going to have one. I want to be an inspiration.

   Nobody is inspired by the loser, or the one who gave up before hitting pay dirt. I have a little kick left, and I can tell this is my big chance in the next couple of years. After that, it will be a race against time for survival. It is now, but I think I have a chance at winning.

   Today I did a whole lot of nothing, but that’s what I planned. I went to pick up my mail and deposit a couple of checks, then I went to hang out with my friend Todd Hunt. He’s a business speaker, and one of the best around. His marketing plan is THE best I’ve seen.

   I always learn something from Todd. He hustles to get his work, and earns every single penny he gets paid. There’s no ‘circuit’ for speakers, and each booking is gotten by either word of mouth or self inquiry. It’s very difficult, but Todd has kept plugging for years. If you need a business speaker, contact Todd via his website at www.toddhuntspeaker.com.

   I love reconnecting with good people, as it allows us to compare notes and see how we can help each other with what we’re doing now. It becomes a process of weeding out the weenies, and finding a winning team to accomplish goals and rely on in times of need.

   If there’s one thing I’ve amassed in my life it’s a list of quality people, and just because life can get so hectic it’s easy to lose track sometimes. I have some time at home in these next couple of weeks, and it would do me good to reshuffle and realign my contacts list.

   Hopefully, the people on that list are in a good space too, and we’ll take whatever we’re all doing to a higher level. I’m really excited about the chances of good things happening this year on many levels. I’ve paid my dues, and I feel like I’m in the driver’s seat to do or be whatever I want. Part of that is to surround myself with fun people to share everything.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: