Saturday, January 15, 2011

Tigers And Turtles

Thursday January 13th, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL

   I was so disturbed by that Vince McMahon DVD I watched yesterday, I had to watch it again. I wanted to see if it had the same affect. The guy is brilliant, I’ll give him that. He’s got a lot of amazing accomplishments under his belt, but I think there’s a screw loose as a person. I don’t get a warm and fuzzy feeling watching him, but he’s still quite fascinating.

   I love creativity and innovative minds, and he’s definitely that. He changed the game so much it isn’t the same one anymore. I also love the idea of being an entrepreneur, and his skills there are also off the charts. He’s rich beyond belief, but I don’t want to be like him.

   Does that mean I’ll never be rich? Maybe it does. Maybe I don’t have that killer instinct needed in business and I’m wasting my time. There was a quote of his that said “If you’ve got any friends, it means you’re not making any money.” Does life have to be like that?

   It’s really ripping me up. I’ve always thought I wanted to be rich, and I still do - but I’m not willing to turn into a flaming wank pole to do it. I want to be ethical and above board, and not have to screw anyone over to do it. Then the more I think about it, am I realistic?

   I know there is a contingency of people that no matter how hard I try, still look at me as the flaming wank pole I try to hard not to be. I do speak my mind, but deep down I try my hardest to be a good person and respect other people’s needs, rights and space. I’m a firm believer in The Golden Rule, and try my hardest to live by it every day. I feel for others.

   It seems like that’s not necessary in business. It’s everyone for themselves, and so what if someone else gets hurt. I don’t want to be part of that, and that’s part of why I’m not as far along in the game as I think I should be. Nice guys get screwed, and that bothers me.

   So where’s the happy medium? I don’t believe all rich people are evil, and everyone has different circumstances. Vince McMahon was born into the business he’s in, but he had a vision to revolutionize it and he did. It came at the expense of his competitors, who were all getting along and making a living. That wasn’t good enough, and Vince wanted more.

   Maybe it’s the difference between a tiger and a turtle. A tiger has a killer instinct and it prowls the jungle and kills because it’s programmed to do so. It couldn’t stop if it wanted to. A turtle is exactly the opposite. It couldn’t be a predator if it wanted to. That’s life.

   Everyone gets pumped up when the song ‘Eye of The Tiger’ comes on. I think I’ve been born with the ‘Eye of The Turtle’. No matter how big my vision may be to be a bad ass in life, all I’ll ever be is the best turtle I can be. It sure seems like that sometimes, and it rots.

   I do still want to be an entrepreneur though, and hopefully find a niche market and haul in some nice money. Maybe it won’t be a billion dollars, but whatever I do make I’ll help as many others as I can. They don’t even have to know it came from me. That’s what the true definition of success is, at least to me. I hope I’m not wasting my time on this planet.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: