Monday, January 24, 2011

Schlitz And Jack

Monday January 24th, 2011 - Somewhere At Sea

   Each cruise ship has a different schedule of ports, and this is a week where we have two sea days in a row. That doesn’t happen all that often, and it can get kind of long. I like the option of getting off the ship and walking around in the sun, but that’s over for this run.

   The next time I’ll be able to get off will be in Montego Bay on Wednesday, but then I’ll be flying to Miami and then Chicago. Then I’ve got only two short days to prepare for the ‘Schlitz Happened!’ show at the South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center. I’ll be ready.

   I just hope someone shows up. Everyone will be in a great mood because of the Packers and it turns out it’s the week off before the game. Maybe luck struck in a positive way for a change and the stars aligned so I can have a decent crowd show up. Usually it’s “I don’t know what happened - last week it was jammed in here.” How often have I heard that?

   It would be nice to pack it out, but I’m not sure if I’m there just yet. I’m away too much working on the ships, and don’t have a publicity machine in place yet to get the word out when I’m gone. I’ve got some word of mouth going, but that’s about it. It’s a crapshoot.

   Hopefully, it won’t be a crap catch. I just want enough to pay my expenses this time and if I can do that, I’ll be thrilled. My venue rent is reasonable, but I have a few more hidden  costs to cover and I’d like to recoup those. We’ll see. This is a test of my drawing power.

   It’s also a big test for my organizational skills. I’ve contacted a lot of people and they’re stepping up and doing what they do best, or at least what I‘ve asked them to do. So far, so good. I don’t think it will be a disaster on Friday, but I would have liked more time to get the word out. This will be an education as to what I need to do to promote in the future.

   No matter what happens, I’m not going to stop doing this show - even if this one tanks it to the hilt. It’s all a learning experience, and actually quite fun. The risk is minimal, as I’m the product. I’m not booking a band or dealing with other comics. This is my baby.

   I heard Jack LaLanne died yesterday at 96. I was always a fan of his, and I can’t think of anyone who lived a better life. He turned his passion for health and life into a fortune, and helped countless others along the way. His life was long and productive, and I admire him in many ways. He did what we all COULD do, but choose not to. I’m one of the guiltiest.

   It seems so difficult to make healthy choices on a consistent basis but Jack LaLanne did it for a lifetime. He got into the habit and stuck with it and I bet he could have kicked my pansy ass around the block throughout most of his 90s. I’m ashamed and embarrassed.

   None of us have anyone to blame but ourselves. Junk food tastes great, and it’s easy and cheap to get. It’s advertised daily and I’m totally hooked. That doesn’t mean it’s right, but it is a fact. Jack LaLanne stands out, but he really shouldn’t. We should all be living a life like he did. I keep saying I’m going to, but then the evil gods of fat and sugar possess me.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: