Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Airport Agony

Monday November 15th, 2010 - Miami, FL/Chicago, IL

   Welcome to the downside of traveling for a living. I couldn’t catch a break today with a magnet or a fishing hook, and today was a day I could have really used one. For whatever reason, nothing went the way it was supposed to and I had to waste a whole day waiting.

   Flights from Miami to Chicago must have been at a premium today, because I couldn’t  get on an earlier one than the one I had a ticket for at 7:25pm. I don’t usually get one that late when I’m already in Miami, and they let us off the ship by 11am. That’s a long wait.

   All I did today was wait, and anyone who knows me knows all too well that patience is just not one of the outstanding virtues in my repertoire. Quite the opposite. It’s a big time torture that someday may cause a massive stroke and I’ll die in a self made puddle of goo.

   Halfway through today, I wished for my own death, but it didn’t come. There must be a few more sins from past lives I still need to burn off the karma for, so all I could do was a whole lot of nothing. And if that wasn’t bad enough, I had to do it in the Miami airport, a place I’m not fond of at all. English is a second language there, and the layout is horrible.

   It was difficult enough to even get there in the first place. Usually there’s a crew shuttle that takes us there for a low price. Not today, and I have no idea why. I ended up taking a cab driven by some militant Haitian who wanted to start a revolution in America himself.

   When I got to the airport, I was too early to check in for my flight so I had to wait in the check in area for three full hours with nothing to do, and nobody to talk to. Ugh. I tried to get some sleep but those chairs are hard enough to sit in for three hours much less sleep.

   Finally, I was able to check in and I had to go through my favorite hobby - security. The crew was especially amped up today and were digging through luggage like kids looking for Easter eggs on the White House lawn. I shut my mouth and took my turn in the game.

   Putting my luggage and clothing back together killed a few minutes, so that was a good thing, but now I had five hours to kill before my flight. I went to the gate and tried to get a spot on an earlier flight but was greeted with an icy cold rude rejection in broken English, which I thought was funny coming from someone who works for AMERICAN Airlines.

   I tried reading, working, doing a crossword puzzle, sleeping, but nothing made the time go any faster. I had to wait, and that was it. Then, to cap the whole day off with a big dose of stress, they changed the gate number for the flight and I had to rush at top speed all the way across the airport to barely make my flight. This may be funny soon, but not today.

   Then, we ended up sitting on the runway for over an hour and nobody told us why. That put everyone in a bad mood, not just me. People were missing connecting flights and they weren’t thrilled about it, and the flight attendants had that stress to deal with. This all puts me in a wonderful mood as I now have to move everything I own over the next two days.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: