Friday, November 26, 2010

Music Vs. Comedy

Friday November 26th, 2010 - Roatan, Honduras

   I am completely in awe of musical talent, mainly because I have absolutely zero myself. I respect those who work hard at developing their gifts, and try to support whenever I can. Last night a gentleman named Marcus Anthony came to see my show, and he’s a headline singer in the main lounge. He was very complimentary, and invited me to see him tonight.

   I always love watching talented entertainers work, and he didn’t disappoint. He not only has a spectacular voice, he’s a master showman as well. I don’t care what kind of music is involved, that’s a winning combination. Marcus does soul music, which I happen to really enjoy, and he knocked it out of the park. I saw his first show, and returned for the second.

   Just like us, he does two completely different shows. That allows audiences to stay and see him twice, which gives Carnival a chance to sell more drinks. That’s how the game is played, and we all know that. Still, the guy is loaded with talent and was a joy to watch.

   I don’t know if I’d want to be in the music business though. There are different ups and downs than comedy, but hauling equipment and dealing with bands doesn’t seem like any fun at all. The good thing about comedy is it’s easy to set up. A mike and lights, that’s it.

   I don’t think the average audience appreciates the degree of difficulty there is in comedy though. Nobody heckles a singer. Their talent is apparent. The minute Marcus walked out on stage, he had the audience captivated with his powerful voice. Comedy isn’t that way.

   Most comedians just talk, and the talent is a lot more subtle. It’s hidden in what they are saying, and if someone doesn’t listen, the illusion is broken and it becomes a war between performer and audience, or at least performer and heckler. Music is much more tangible.

   I didn’t think about any of that during the show, I just sat back and enjoyed the evening. I probably enjoyed it more than the rest of the audience, because I know how much effort went into what he was doing. He probably took singing lessons for years, toured with lots of bands, fought his was through the insanity of show business, but nobody really cares.

   They just want to hear some tunes and enjoy a show. The same is true with comedy. An average audience has no clue how difficult the business is, and doesn’t care where any of the material comes from. They want to be entertained, that’s it. The one advantage I have over a guy like Marcus is, I wrote most of my jokes. He sings songs others made famous.

   When someone laughs at a joke I came up with or a personal story about my life, it’s an amazing feeling of satisfaction. Not so much when they don’t, but that’s the risk of being a comedian. I’m over thinking it at this point. Marcus was great, and I enjoyed the show.

   We were off tonight, and will be back at it tomorrow. I already did my three show night, so tomorrow will be a walk in the park. I’ll go in and give it all I have, and then we’ll stay on board for the first part of next week and do it all again. It sure isn’t a glamorous life.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: