Saturday, November 6, 2010

Up For The Down Time

Friday November 5th, 2010 - Somewhere At Sea

   The two main benefits I can hope for from spending time at sea are a steady income and a chance to work on side projects without interruption. I wanted peace and quiet, and I got it. This is the ultimate opportunity to crank out some major chunks of my best work ever.

   Today I got so into what I was doing, I didn’t leave my cabin until show time. I was in a creative groove, and when that happens I tend to lose all track of time. It’s a fantastic way to use all the spare time that comes with this gig, and if I’m smart I’ll get a payday twice.

   I’ll get paid for the shows now, and then again down the road for whatever products I’m able to create with my chunks of time out here. That’s the key to real wealth, and precious few ever get to have that chance. Writing a book or a screen play takes a whole lot of time and even more effort, which is why most people never try. I’ve got a tailor made chance.

   That’s why it’s so smart for me to keep doing these ships as long as they’ll have me out here. I can use the days to work on whatever I choose, and I looked over my options most of today and I’ve got a lot to work on. I bet I could be out here ten years and never run out of projects to finish, plus every week I’m out I’m putting a chunk of cash away for later.

   Today I got out my master list of comedy notes, and it blew me away. I hadn’t looked at those notes in months, and I’d forgotten just how many unused ideas I have. It’s probably as much or more than I have now, and I’m considered one to have a whole lot of material.

   I was discouraged and encouraged at the same time, as I probably should have started to ease this stuff in a long time ago but didn’t. I tried for a while, but it’s not always easy to slip in new material and polish it. I couldn’t just go out there with fifty brand new jokes and automatically get laughs with each one. It takes time to burn things into my memory.

   My act really relies on rhythm, and I think it takes me even longer to craft something to fit what I do. Sometimes I have to add a syllable or two or even a couple of words so it’ll sound like the rest of my act. Then, it gets in my memory and stays there so I can pull out bits and pieces of it when I need it. That’s just how I work, and always have. It’s a style.

   For whatever reason, that style sure worked tonight. Wow, what a difference a new ship makes. Last week was my best week by far, but tonight took it even higher. It was my two show night, and the second was standing room only. They were ready to go from “Hello“.

   I even threw in a couple of the lines I’d been looking at earlier in the day, and they got a laugh. That tells me even more I really need to work more new jokes in on a regular basis. A comedian’s work is never done, but when the audiences are like tonight, I don’t mind.

   This is only one of many projects I want to work on. My comedy class notes need work, as does the ‘Schlitz Happened!’ show outline. Uranus Factory Outlet is still in the mix as is the movie script and book for the bank robbery story. I’ve got my work cut out for me.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: